Amp for 4 ohm speakers (kef reference 105/3) - maybe meridian?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hyweldavies, Nov 29, 2015.

1. hyweldavies

hyweldavies

I will likely need to replace my amp, and was considering one of the Meridian 500 series (555, 556, 557) according to whatever I can get on fleabay when the time comes. Rationale - they are seemingly well regarded, and go for the sort of money I'm prepared to pay. Naim etc seem a bit pricey, and their slightly snake-oil marketing puts me off somewhat, thought I accept they are good products.

So, the question: my Kefs (which I am absolutely delighted with), are 4 ohm, but some of the Meridian 556 amps I've seen on fleabay have "8 ohm minimum" written on the back, despite web searches of manuals stating power outputs into 8 and 4 ohms. Anyone know if their models have changed, or if "minimum load 8 ohms" means something different ?

And also, does anyone think this would be a good bet for the Kefs?

For what it's worth, I've now got a 30 year old Mission cyrus 2, with the beefed up additional power supply (PSX). I've been extremely happy with this, but it's starting to play up and I think its days are numbered.

"people" say the kefs need a lot of power, yet, the Mission runs the kefs quite loud enough for my needs at the "1" setting on the amp, so I don't quite understand the "need a lot of power" thing. They also work perfectly with a very modest 40 year old 25 watt jap amp I've used when attempting to fix the mission amp.

Final question - is there any need for a pre-amp - I use a lynx audio card in the PC, and don't really use other sources, so if I set the volume right on the lynx driver software, should this just work. Obviously full blast would be a mistake !

Thanks everyone

PS this is my first post, so hopefully in the right section, and not containing any faux-pas due to ignorance.

hyweldavies, Nov 29, 2015
  2. hyweldavies

Mark P

Welcome,

When speakers like the KEFs have a low impedance the speakers draw a lot of current from the amp. So, you need is an amp which is capable of producing current and dumping it into the speakers load quickly.

This is not the same as the simple wattage value, nor does it equate to 'loudness'.

So, for some amps you'll see figures like:
    125w into 8ohms
    250w into 4ohms

I ran KEF 104/2 Refs for 10 years and the better my amps got at current delivery the better the KEFs sounded. I had Quad (405-2) and then went down the Naim route.

Now, I have Shahinian Obelisks which go even lower than 4ohms. I'm using a modestly powered pair of hand built power amps based on boards from a 40w per channel Naim amp. But because I've paid a lot of attention to the transformers and power supplies these amps sound much better than even a much bigger Naim amp. I put this down to the quality of the power supply and the ability that gives the amps to dump current into the speakers when they need it. Oh, and I seldom listen any louder than 9-10 o'clock on the volume.

I know people who drive Shahinians, KEFs and other low impedance/current hungry speakers with amps from:
    Naim
    Meridian - you could ring them and ask about the '8ohms minimum' stickers
    Avondale
    Dynavector
    Some Hypex class-D amps

You don't 'need' a pre amp, but a DAC with a volume control might represent far less risk to your speakers, amps and ears.

Mark P, Dec 2, 2015
  3. hyweldavies

martin Ripley

I use kef reference 4 which are the big daddy of the 105/3. I use two musical fidelity amps that are designed to run into 4 Ohms. These would be more than ample and are round about £600 on eBay.

I'm in Swindon if you'd like a listen!

martin Ripley, Dec 2, 2015
  4. hyweldavies

hyweldavies

that you gents - I can't believe I didn't think of simply asking Meridian, despite it being an obsolete model. Doh !
    Will do that anyway.

To mark - what did you think of the 405 with the kefs? I always liked Quad's no-nonsense engineering approach to things, but from descriptions I wasn't sure I'd like the result. Never listened to em and even I was surprised by the audible differences between an Audiolab which I auditioned against the Cyrus 2 I bough (way back in the day, long before the kefs), so I appreciate Amps differ despite the fact they shouldn't. I was never happy with my old A&R A60 which I moved on fairly soon after buying it.Again 30 years ago.

And to Martin - what model Musical fidelity amps have you got? £500 to £600 on fleabay is OK for me I think - though maybe £150 for the quad is more appealing. I could of course be less lazy and try and fix the Mission, but I suspect I'll want two stereos in my new pad, so isn't silly to just buy an amp for now and fix later.

Anyhow thank you both for helpful and useful comments

hyweldavies, Dec 5, 2015
  5. hyweldavies

hyweldavies

Well to answer my own question, the helpful chap at Meridian tells me the 556, 557 etc amps will be fine into 4 ohms.
    So, keep my beady eyes on fleabay for one at the right price. Half talking myself into a 557 at £800....

hyweldavies, Dec 7, 2015
  6. hyweldavies

hyweldavies

well I've bought a pair of Meridian (monobloc?) 105 power amps with a 101 pre amp and it all works fine with my Kefs. From memory and far from scientific I've a notion that it sounds slightly better than before. I'll probably stick the Cyrrus on fleabay as a repair job, though the PSX booster psu is perfectly fine and is likely worth something.

Thanks for advice chaps

hyweldavies, Jan 4, 2016
Ask a Question