Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE mkII's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sgt Rock, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

I'm going to demo a pair tomorrow, anything I should be aware of or any comments ?

My current system is :-

AV Processor Cyrus AV8
    Power Amps Cyrus Smart Power x 3
    DVD Player Cyrus DVD8
    Front & Center Speakers Miller & Kreisel K17
    Rear Speakers Miller & Kreisel K4
    Subwoofer Miller & Kreisel VX100

IC's Chord Chameleon Silver Plus
    Speaker Cable Chord Odyssey2

I also plan to get a Cyrus DAC X DAC/Pre when it comes out.

Sgt Rock, Apr 21, 2004
  2. Sgt Rock

Curt

Hi there,
    Make sure they have plenty of space a min of 1 meter from side and rear walls 1.5 if poss or more.
    Also depending on your electronics bass can get a bit heavy and top end can also sound a bit too refined.
    Good speakers but i couldn't get them to sing in my room and a tad too polite for my tastes.
    Let us know how you got on

Curt

Curt, Apr 22, 2004
  3. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

A superb speaker (well, I have a pair so I'm biased :) ). They like to be in a reasonable amount of free space but I think 1-1.5m from walls is a bit over the top. Mine are less than a metre from the rear walls and I don't have any issues with bass bloom from the rear ports.

They must be s/h (as they're not available new any more) but check that they've been well run in. Dyns take for ever to run in properly - depending on how much they are used as much a 6 months :eek: . Until that point they can sound somewhat harsh in the treble.

A fantastically revealing speaker that requires decent kit to go with it. They aren't the easiest speakers in the world to drive either and they really love current. You need an amp with good current delivery to drive them at their best. Having said that I think that your Cyrus kit should be up to the job.

Let us know what you think :)

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Just re-read the title of the thread and am confused. Do you mean the Contour 1.3MkIIs or the Contour 1.3SE (a much more expensive speaker) ? I assumed you meant 1.3MkII.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Sgt Rock

Curt

Hehe Michael i think he meant the SE's well thats the info i put up regarding them.
    I have the same speakers as you and agree they dont need as much free sitting.
    They are fantastic aren't they mate and with my new IC they really sound class.

Curt

Curt, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Oops they're the 1.3 MK II's.

Dynaudio are selling them to dealers cheap as they've just stopped doing them.

They were B grade, I couldn't see any issues with the birds eye maple, drivers, etc ...

They sounded fab and guess what, I brought a pair and stands for less than £1000 :D

Guess I need to run them in now :(

Sgt Rock, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

So they were effectively new? Which stands did you get? Mine are on Dynaudio Stand2 stands which are certainly not the cheapest stands you can get at around £400 a pair :eek: . My Contours only cost me £600 though :cool: .

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Michael,

Yes they are new.

I think they were stand2's but they were only £170 so they might not be, but they do look the same as the stand2's on the dynaudio web site.

Did you fill your stands ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Sgt Rock

greg Its a G thing

As Contour owners - any views/experience of the Contour 3.3 floorstander?

Thanks
    Greg

greg, Apr 22, 2004
  10. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Perhaps you got your Stand2's for a good price then (or perhaps they're just stupidly expensive here in Portugal). I didn't fill mine but Dynaudio suggest it might be worth it:

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/stand2.htm

TBH though I don't think it would make much difference in that particular model of stand and secondly it didn't appear to me to be obvious how to fill them up as there's no obvious hole large enough.

greg - no experience of the 3.3 I'm afraid.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 22, 2004
Ask a Question