Hi-fi Or Music ???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nando, Nov 9, 2012.

1. nando

nando nando

question, i.e. survey,
    how many people who own hi-fi listen to music and how many do not bother but almost always listen to their hi-fi? some of whom i know listen to what their hi-fi is or not doing ! even though there is nothing wrong wit the way it portrays the way the recordding that was mastered is not perfect "nothing was ever perfect" and spend most of the pleasured little time hearing your favourite piece of music and enjoy, does any one have friends that come to listen to music in your house and end up playing music they brought with them and you get the impresion that is going to be a great night of musical pleasure, plenty of RIOJA and whatever, only to find they become reviewers on their own little world? MORE RIOJA PLEASE, over to you.:)

nando, Nov 9, 2012
  2. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Mine serves lots of purposes.
    If I'm not being self indulgent and immersing myself in a listening session I'll probably have the radio on as background music or chat.

So I'll play music or just listen to something like Steve Allen on LBC in the mornings :)

RobHolt, Nov 10, 2012
  3. nando

nando nando

steve allen cracks me up, then nick ferrari stops after james o'brien, normally while i relax is jazz fm , the hi-fi is almost on all day as backround , only when i want to listen to one of my albums that comes to mind that i just lock my self in and forget the world exists,

nando, Nov 10, 2012
  4. nando

nando nando

spirit of contradiction, i love this phono stage simply because it makes me play the same track over and over , i just love her and his voice on this duet, :)

nando, Nov 10, 2012
  5. nando

nando nando

robert you must listen to this track i have it on vinyl but i am sure that you can get it on other sources is by smokey robinson and india arie called "you're just my life" :)

nando, Nov 10, 2012
  6. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Thanks Joseph, I'll track that one down.

RobHolt, Nov 10, 2012
  7. nando

nando nando

great thing that got finally done, got my old T T done and set perfectly , music to my ears, long live my vynil, cartridge i managed to obtain a bran new AT 0C9 ML, :)

nando, Nov 25, 2012
  8. nando

Joelsim Joelsim

Used to be HiFi, now it's most definitely music. No plans at all to upgrade for the foreseeable.

Joelsim, Dec 22, 2013
    PaulTheOtherOne likes this.
  9. nando

musichal

Just because one upgrades doesn't mean it isn't about the music, by any means.

musichal, May 13, 2016
  10. nando

khefr

I think i may be guilty of this, i tend to compare a lot rather than enjoying my music

khefr, Jun 10, 2016
  11. nando

danielwritesback

I registered to this forum because of this post.
    After having succeeded twice at diyaudio.com, albeit it took a few years, I actually blocked it at my router because they didn't go further than fine equipment. Because, I just didn't need a triplicate set of fine equipment. And I certainly didn't need equipment for specs. There was so much fine assistance, but what there wasn't is a focused direct path towards enjoying music. I wouldn't have got there without their help; however, it has come time to jam out and enjoy the music. They're not focused on that, primarily.
    Unfortunately, I am not equipped to answer your question, because I have no idea if someone else would define my own equipment as hi-fi. After some years, I earnestly hope that someone defines the equipment that I enjoy as a surprisingly high quality, high resolution, example of mid-fi equipment; and, I hope they mention the pleasant/relevant tone (which was arranged because I needed it). Well, at this point, the finest mid-fi available is what I desire and what I probably already have.
    On some of the questions to your post, what I can say is that hi-fi isn't a bad thing, does exist and the actual price is smaller than sandwiches to fill houses with high resolution audio; although, the price to fill airplane hangars and larger size areas with high resolution audio is just awful. The thing is that Watts and Price does not relate to audio quality--no effectiveness whatsoever.

danielwritesback, Apr 24, 2017
    videovalve likes this.
  12. nando

videovalve

d w back-youre spot with what you say matey,get your music system as good as YOU like it, and enjoy the content!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    videovalve, Aug 7, 2017
  13. nando

Roxbrough

I listen to music on my High Fidelity System, I never play the TV through it.

Roxbrough, Aug 9, 2017
  14. nando

jonboselector

I don't like back ground music.

In pubs and restaurants it just makes people talk louder because they have to talk over it. Trying to hear people speak over it is a strain.

Back to topic.

I like my hifi as I listen to music.

I like music so I can listen to my hifi.

So I suppose I listen to them both, as they are complementary to each other.

jonboselector, Nov 4, 2018
  15. nando

Dissily Mordentroge

A tangentially relevant question would be ‘Why was the last post on this thread made as long ago as Nov5, 2018?
    Yes, internet forums are dying due to the web's infestation by social media but something else is at work. Today announcing to a group of strangers you’re an ‘audiophile’ will either be met with blank incomprehension or derision.
    The derision may be deserved as we’ve all been exposed to those stupid evenings where a group of supposed music lovers listen to only half a track before switching cartridges, DA converters, amps or whatever then repeating the entire tedious process for hours. Then we have the absurdity of the industry many sections of which still insist on producing obscenely expensive gear that can only be heard optimally from a single seat .
    And how many of you have been treated with total distain and snobbery by high-end audio retailers?
    Audio publications, on line and printed, are also far from beyond criticism. How often do reviewers reveal the dimensions, let alone acoustic signature of the rooms they audition gear in? How often do they publish the results of their own clinical hearing tests? Given the age of some of them I assume it would be just too embarassing.

Dissily Mordentroge, Feb 24, 2020
  16. nando

YorkshireRHT

An interesting question, In my opinion it's where many audiophiles get lost, I fell for the same trap years ago, I realised I wasn't actually listening to the music anymore, I was too busy listening the the equipment. I think it was a gradual thing, always striving to get an improvement and forgetting about the music.

For me it was a period wheres I was very much living in 'nostalgia music land', I was listening to the same stuff I had been listening to all my life and had stopped searching for new music, I had become musically ignorant.

Luckily for me I realised etc, and that was that, never looked back.

YorkshireRHT, Feb 27, 2020
  17. nando

danielwritesback

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112323747087?

Ended my search for a pretty amplifier. I did add the blarebuster circuit to the input although the lightspeed and several other forms of input padding will do.

It was the singleton input which abruptly ended my search. The singleton doesn't have requirements of ever better source, because it has less input barrier.

If you wanted a more power than indoors overdo version, then search for TGM8. Although it is too big, all of the other means works straightaway.

danielwritesback, Mar 8, 2020
Ask a Question