Learner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Berne, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Berne

Berne Berne

Hi ,

After many years I have been able to buy some good sounds. Solely for bedroom use with ATX headset and the odd blast.

1) Teac Casette and CD player
    2) Teac Amp 120W output
    3) Marantz Tuner AR640MK2

Speakers are two Wharfedale ....20-10W

So after rigging all up and perhaps listening to rock ect too loudly i have blown one of the speakers. The Amp blew also as it would not come out of standby, a replacement Amp followed and that blew a component too after boot....finally I have the sys going good with a new 2nd replacement Amp , the one speaker which is working is carring the low level volume music supply.

To assit of the two speakers A works fine...but when balance is switched to B....at same volume well its only a faint distoted sound comes through ....do you agree the B has been blown by my lack of hifi education?

Im thinking now that I need two speakers of the same power as the Amp namely 120W or higher ? Am I right? I intend keeping the AMP so offer what you will and I can reconsider all options.

Berne

Berne, Apr 3, 2015
  2. Berne

Tenson Moderator

Hello,

I wonder if your first and second amps were not happy because you still had the blown speaker connected? Maybe the first amp will come out of standby if you disconnect the speakers or use good condition ones.

As for new speakers, they do not need to be rated the same as the amp. Just don't play it so loud it sounds distorted and crap. Also too little amp power can blow speakers because when the amp is pushed too hard the output gets nasty and tweeters blow up. So regardless of your speaker power and amp power simply use your ears and if it starts to sound distorted turn it down.

If you want speaker recommendations let us know your budget. Second hand is always best value but there can be horror stories when things are not what they seem.

Tenson, Apr 3, 2015
  3. Berne

mjp200581

Hi Berne,

It's a common misunderstanding that the power rating of the amp must match the power rating of the speakers but actually it doesn't really work that way.

When an amplifier is driven too hard the sound can start to distort as the amp goes into 'clipping'. This clipping can very quickly damage your speakers. Usually a higher power rated amplifier can be driven harder before it starts to go into clipping so actually, although it may seem counter intuitive at first you may be less likely to wreck your speakers by using a high powered amplifier than a low powered one.

Different speaker designs can be harder or easier for an amp to 'drive'. This is expressed as the impedance of the speaker and is usually written on it somewhere on the back. A speaker with a 4 Ohm impedance will be harder to 'drive' than an 8 Ohm speaker.

Your amp is rated at 120wpc and hooked up to suitable speakers should be able to play loudly without problems.

Like Tenson suggests my first thought was that you still had the damaged speakers connected when you tried to use the first replacement amp. With the speaker cables disconnected from the amp does it come out of the shutdown mode?

Amps produce heat so if you like to play your music loud make sure there is decent ventilation around the amplifier. Usually there will be vents in the case and you want to make sure these aren't blocked so that air can circulate through the amp to cool it.

mjp200581, Apr 3, 2015
  4. Berne

Berne Berne

Time will tell.

Hi,

Super replies cheers.

Ibeen busy. After some reading ( which I should have done B4 purchasing ) I see that when putting together a little home hifi sys like mine you need to know the maths. I did not when buying and I bought a 120cont Amp paired with two great Wharfedale 100W speakers...added to the issue the OHM pair was different and there you have it.....I blew one speaker and my AMP . I have learned now that my AMP 120W cont at its best option of 4OHMS needs a good 50W 4OHM speaker pair..for max rock music....mostly on the headphones..the search is on for a new or good quality used pair of 50W ...4OHM set of speakers. Feel free to add any other spec that I should include in order to gain best quaility sound from my moderate sys.

Its only a lifetime waiting...to have some great sounds in my bedroom, and I blew it, but on to the next fence.

So now I have one fully working 100W Wharfedale Cherry and 1 repairable to sell.

A little wiser....do contribute , Im a willing learner.

Berne

Berne, Apr 4, 2015
  5. Berne

Tenson Moderator

Hi Berne,

All amps will find a high impedance (Ohms) easier and more safe to drive. 4 Ohm is low and your amp can be unhappy. Look for an 8 Ohm pair of speakers.

Show you speaker options here before you purchase and we will try to advise the best pair.

Tenson, Apr 6, 2015
  6. Berne

Berne Berne

Hi,
    Just bought:

SATELLITEN LAUTSPRECHER McVOICE ADMIRAL SA-33 2 Wege 40 Watt - 1 PAAR[​IMG]

From reading it seems getting the best detailed sound can be found with the lowest OHM...yes it will push the AMP BUT.....if the speakers are half of the AMPS power then....the listener can look forward to hearing the
    clarity hoped for.

My amp is 120 W and the speakers are 40Watt...@ 4OHM...?

Lets see what is revealed and I will reply.

Berne

Berne, Apr 11, 2015
  7. Berne

Tenson Moderator

I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy the sound,

Tenson, Apr 11, 2015
  8. Berne

Berne Berne

Hi....just to update .....OP...states the two original speakers where Wharfedale 20-10W.....doesnt make sense.....thread should of course read two Wharfedale 120 Watt .

Will reply after new speakers have been fully tested.

Berne

Berne, Apr 11, 2015
  9. Berne

Berne Berne

Hi, when there is no breakthrough of distortion from my FM external antenna signal can be optimal and sound quality is the best Ive ever heard....just wish I could stop the distorted breakthrough ? When listening to FM stations from Dublin here in Belfast.....the signal pickup from my external FM antenna is too much....I read somwhere about putting toriod rings on antenna cable coming into the back of my tuner....is this a viable option in my case and if so what spec of toroid ring should I shop for?

Correct by all means giving best advice,

Berne

Berne, Sep 2, 2015
Ask a Question