My first SONOS setup

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by CrimsonSky, Aug 24, 2015.

1. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky

Hello everyone!,
    Ive never posted on an audio forum before and have very limited knowlage on the subject but im trying to make this a hobby to be proud of and make something me and my girlfriend can do (appreciate) together. Any help you can provide will be amazing and hopfully you wont get bored of my predictably amature questions.

Ive just moved into my own flat and have been dying to get a good setup for relaxing wih after work. My plan is to build a multiroom system (as is fashionable these days) to cover the whole flat. the focus however will be the living room which i plan on getting a Sonos connect amp and floor standing speakers for. The other rooms will just have Sonos play 1s for casual listening.

This is where i ask my question! My girlfriend is a very picky classically trained singer and speakers i like often come under fire from her. We have agreed on the Dali Zenor 5's and she likes the new Monitor audio bronze 5's which im not over the moon about (dont hate them though). im just trying to find speakers with a similar sound and to take any advise you guys could give to fulfill my audio dreams. ive not really done a budget but including the play 1's i was looking at around £1000 which puts the main pair of speakers at around £500 in budget.

Thanks for any help!

CrimsonSky, Aug 24, 2015
  2. CrimsonSky

hyweldavies

Whilst I am not familiar with the speakers you mentioned, for the £500 you mention, I got a pair of Kef reference 105/3 off fleabay and they are, to my ears anyway, absolutely fantastic. Very relaxing to listen to, and things like voice and solo (classical) instruments sound like live pretty much. Obviously kef is a pukk amake anyway, but these things were apparently £3k new so serious kit back in the day. No doubt other top end units can be bought for sensible money 2nd hand. They are huge mind, which may or may not be an issue for the domestic authorites.

hyweldavies, Dec 5, 2015
  3. CrimsonSky

Jalna

Probably too late for you as you posted last August, but for anyone else thinking of this route, I agree that to maximise a budget buying speakers off fleabay is worth looking at. I've bought some great speakers that way; £350 Ruarks for £60 and some £3K cinemas speakers only a year old for £295. That route would allow some budget for a power amp to use with a Sonos Connect and ideally a DAC; even £100 DACS are a pretty good upgrade now and provide more inputs, such as USB from a computer, coax from a CD and optical for a TV box. I have a multi-room Sonos set-up, and the one thing to be aware of if that it is not 'hi-fi' quality, but still very good. Even a basic CD player will beat it easily.

Jalna, Jan 4, 2016
  4. CrimsonSky

neubilder

Dali's are fantastic speakers, but Monitor Audio's in my opinion are horrible. These seem to be two extremes. Given that I can only make recommendations along the lines of the Dali's. Have you listened to Linn speakers? A used pair of Kabers would be a fantastic natural sounding speaker. The Kaber is a sealed, infinite baffle design, so while they don't have the deepest bass, they are very natural sounding. Very affordable and gorgeous to look at. Some of my favourites are Linn, Naim, Harbeth, Castle, Spendor...to name a few. And choose the largest speaker you can live with.

neubilder, Jan 4, 2016
  5. CrimsonSky

khefr

You have probably decided by now, had i have seen this earlier i would have strongly suggested Dynaudio 2/6 or 2/7

Kaz

khefr, Mar 22, 2016
Ask a Question