Pioneer CT-F7171

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Mar 25, 2015.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Nice Pioneer CT-F7171 arrived yesterday, delivered by it's owner who collects and looks after this stuff. Looks mint and very good build. Got to meet a fellow Audiokarma restorer and collector too which is always nice.

This sample had its transport stripped, all belts, idler tyres and rollers replaced and parts cleaned and re-lubricated. Cost a packet but then stripping these things to that degree is a lot of work, and not something I enjoy. Cassette deck mechanism and I don't really get along, with the usual result of small, barely visible springy bits flying across the room never to be seen again.

Sounds fine and seems to like BASF chromes. It comes from the era when chrome was the new technology, not the latter doped ferrics using higher bias.
    What really surprised me was how little noise it produces without using dolby - perfectly usable for non Dolby recording on chrome.

A nice addition to my 70s Pioneer rig.

The photos don't capture the perspex door inside the cassette well but here's some cassette deck pron from the golden era:

[​IMG]Pioneer CT-F7171

[​IMG]Pioneer CT-F7171

[​IMG]Pioneer CT-F7171

[​IMG]Pioneer CT-F7171

[​IMG]Pioneer CT-F7171

[​IMG]Pioneer CT-F7171

RobHolt, Mar 25, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  2. RobHolt

Ian

Brilliant - looks in near perfect condition! Have you got any work of your own to do to it? Looks like the previous owner did a nice job :).

Ian, Mar 26, 2015
  3. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Ian,

The previous owner rebuilt the transport, cleaned the machine thoroughly and did some slight realignment as per the service manual.
    The optional things for me to try are:

Stripping and cleaning the motor. Thats worthwhile in a 40 year old machine and can improve torque.
    The rewind torque is a little low but that can be adjusted by a spring.
    It hasn't been recapped, but they all look fine and the machine runs very quietly electrically so I'm inclined not to touch the caps.

RobHolt, Mar 26, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  4. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

The tape sits really deep in the machine; how do you put it in?!

Tenson, Mar 26, 2015
  5. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

You just place it onto a platform and press down. It snaps into place.
    Its not as deep as it looks.

RobHolt, Mar 26, 2015
Ask a Question