Restaurant (multichannel) Speaker System Questions

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by SkyKast, Mar 4, 2016.

1. SkyKast

SkyKast

Hey everyone,

I have a friend who owns a medium sized Bistro and is currently remodeling and wants to install a new speaker system. I want to help him out and save him money but don't know a huge amount about big systems like this. I'll just list the necessities of the project and then say what I have in mind and if you guys could correct it/give additional advice that would be fantastic.

- must be able to play music from an iPad
    - will have 8-12 ceiling mounted speakers
    - should be able to control volume of each speaker individually in case one table of customers thinks it is too loud and another thinks it isn't loud enough
    - the simpler the better

So it really isn't that complicated of a project, and the part I'm unsure about is mainly the amplifier bit. I found stereo 8" ceiling speakers to use and found a 6 channel speaker selector with volume control but the most channels I found with volume control in one unit is 6. Could I just use 2 of these boxes for more than 6 speakers?

So that's what I was thinking for the controller/speakers. Now for the iPad hook-up I'm thinking a nice looking stand (since the iPad will be visible behind the bar) and just a standard AUX hook-up. Please correct me if that wouldn't be sufficient.

Which leaves me with the question of what to plug the AUX into/what amplifier to get. I don't think it needs to be a receiver since it will only ever have one source input (iPad) and one or two outputs (volume controller). So this is the part where I don't know where to start. I know it has to do with the impedance of the speakers but I don't know if the volume selector affects it or not.

Thanks for you time and help!!

SkyKast, Mar 4, 2016
Ask a Question