Small musical details

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by concorde, Aug 7, 2015.

1. concorde

concorde

I use my computer for most of my audio. I started with NXT 2.1 speakers (probably budget, I was given them). I wanted more immersion and sound detail so wanted to build a higher end 5.1 system. Then I decided it was impractical and thought I'd try headphones. I got some Oppo PM-3 s. They sound great, and I noticed I could hear details in music that I couldn't hear with my speakers, and that I could tell what lyrics were, even if they were really quiet.

Question is, can you get the same amount of detail in speakers as you can in headphones?

I much prefer the sensation of speakers even though these headphones sound great. I'm pretty sure I want to get a receiver and some good 2.1 speakers/sub. Then when I have more money I'll get 3 more for 5.1, if I still want to. But if it's impossible to get speakers that pronounce all the sounds I will consider staying with the headphones.

Can give examples of small details

concorde, Aug 7, 2015
  2. concorde

Sergeauckland

I don't find that headphones provide more detail, except insofar as one can play headphones louder than one generally plays loudspeakers, and headphones improve the signal-to-noise ratio in the room, important if one's surroundings are noisy.

In my own system, I get a far better experience with loudspeakers, but do use headphones for live recording when I need to eliminate outside noises.

You do need a quiet room and decent loudspeakers, or indeed you could be better off with headphones.

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 10, 2015
Ask a Question