Speaker and Amp advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ne5, Oct 22, 2015.

1. ne5

ne5

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm having trouble finding a set of speakers I like. I have a Rotel BX-930 amplifier which is 20 years old. I've been looking at focal 705s speakers, MOnitor Audio bronze 2, KEFQ300 and a few others, but I think I like these 3. However, the focals sound slightly dull and miss detail on some tracks which I have listened to for years, the MA seem to be more "in your face" and upfront which I prefer, the KEF's had a nice tone but were quite deep for my taste. I like and want speakers with a nice tone and detail but not bass which is overpowering or make them sound dull, so I suppose I prefer "bright" speakers which portray rhythmn and percussion type detail but not hollow and lacking in depth either. Maybe the rotels aren't the best for my taste and these speakers would sound better with a brighter amplifier. Either way, I am prepared to buy a new amp and speakers, so long as I like them the cost isn't that important without spending silly money.

ne5, Oct 22, 2015
  2. ne5

rslspeakers

Hi There,

Choosing speakers is indeed difficult. It is very hard to choose speakers by listening to demos of them in a store. Having owned several stores, I know that the store can make whatever speakers they're promoting sound good by tailoring the demo in their soundrooms. Room acoustics makes a huge difference. I've heard super expensive speakers sound horrible because of the room's acoustical properties. So, that's one factor. Some of the new A/V receivers offer room correction such as Audyssey and Yamaha YPAO. These are excellent and can often offer dramatic improvement in some rooms with acoustical issues. Even though I own some high end audiophile gear, some of these receivers with their room correction can often provide more satisfying results (depending on room acoustics) at a much lower cost. I know there will be some who will disagree and that's OK.

Whether you buy speakers in a store or online, make sure that you can get a full refund (online including return shipping) if you're not happy with them. There are several sites that offer excellent speakers factory-direct so the prices can be pretty appealing. Obviously, check the reviews on any speaker you're considering, both the professional reviews and the customer reviews.

You mentioned that you do not want bass that is overpowering. Then, may I suggest that you consider a 2.1 system where the bass comes from the subwoofer and therefore its volume can be controlled exactly to your liking.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope it helps a little.

Howard

rslspeakers, Oct 30, 2015
  3. ne5

ne5

Thank you, I've never heard of a 2.1 system as you describe, could you tell me more please ?

ne5, Nov 4, 2015
  4. ne5

rslspeakers

Hi,

A 2.1 system is an alternative to large full range or floorstanding speakers (and we believe a better one after having built a lot of both types for many years). In a 2.1 system you have right and left stereo speakers and a subwoofer. The subwoofer handles the deep bass frequencies (typically below 100 Hz.) and the 2 stereo speakers handle the rest of the sound (typically 100-20,000 Hz). There are some that would argue that a 2.1 system sounds like small compact speakers augmented by a subwoofer. They would be right in some cases. However, if the 2.1 system is properly designed it should sound no different than large floorstanding speakers. A 2.1 system that accomplishes that must do 2 things well: First, the stereo speakers (sometimes referred to as satellites) must go down low enough in the bass to meet the subwoofer. If there is any gap in the response between the 2, the system will sound like a compact system (and many do). Second, the woofer must be tight or quick. Many subwoofers, in order to get a low bass response out of a reasonably-sized cabinet, are guilty of overhang. In other words, when the bass note stops, the woofer keeps on going. The result is sloppy or boomy bass. This makes the subwoofer call attention to itself and localizes. When a subwoofer localizes, you are made aware of a separate subwoofer operating and its location. Ideally, the bass should sound like it's coming from the satellite speakers, even if the subwoofer is a considerable distance away in your room.

There are big advantages to a system with a separate subwoofer over full-range speakers. With full-range speakers, you must place them where they will image the best. This may not be a good place for bass in your room. By having a separate subwoofer you can place it where the bass sounds the best and distributes the most evenly. In addition, you can control the bass separately to accomplish the exact balance you prefer so that the bass does not overwhelm you.

So, now you know what a 2.1 system is. A 5.1 home theater system consists of 5 satellite speakers and a subwoofer. A 7.2 home theater system, for example consists of 7 satellite speakers and 2 subwoofers. I think you get the idea.

rslspeakers, Nov 5, 2015
  5. ne5

ne5

Thank you for that. Its very interesting, I'll think.about my.options and post again.

ne5, Nov 15, 2015
  6. ne5

Barry

Please remember that detail and speed (dynamics) can get sacrificed with a 2:1 system. I would suggest downsizing the full range speakers to work with the room.

Barry, Dec 2, 2015
  7. ne5

rslspeakers

Normally, I would agree with you in general if the 2.1 system was not designed or manufactured well. However, after designing and manufacturing thousands of stereo speakers of all sizes for many years, a properly designed 2.1 system will not sacrifice any speed or dynamics. I'm not trying to promote our speakers here, but, if for example you took the parts from our 2.1 system and repackaged them, they could be a great floorstanding or tower system. The possible advantage of them is that they'd incorporate a subwoofer in each system, which could (but not necessarily) be advantageous over the single sub in a 2.1 system. In these situations a person could always go with a 2.2. system.

rslspeakers, Dec 2, 2015
  8. ne5

khefr

Avi do a nice 2.1 speakers system which works very well and also looks nice in gloss black

khefr, Jun 10, 2016
Ask a Question