spendor s8 none e version how do they sound

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mickm, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mickm

mickm

hi, anyone had a set of these or still got a set , how do they sound , how much better is the more recent e version over the origanal , any feed back welcome , mick

mickm, Mar 18, 2008
  2. mickm

Hamilton

Well I had a pair a few years back and I liked 'em fine, though they're not to everyone's taste, and its kind of hard to describe how speakers sound but here goes... Very detailed and accurate in the mid and treble but not at all harsh, nice firm bass - clean but definitely not bloated. The mix is always clear and seperate - kind of an 'airy' sound. They sounded particularly good with acoustic/vocal or classical stuff. May not be the ideal choice for dance or anything else really bass heavy, but actually good amplification makes a difference - mine took a major step up when I got some Cyrus monoblocks. Critics say they sound 'dry' and even 'dull' but I guess that depends what you're used to/like. They're not 'warm' but generally I like accurate so... Eventually switched to a pair of W-B Orators which were all that plus beefier in the bottom and with a touch of warmth. Can't comment on comparisons with the e-models. I think the major change was in cabinet construction where they went from the 'traditional' (for Spendor) thin walled cabs to something more conventional. Never heard comment about changes to the sound so maybe there wasn't much. Worth a listen, because they tend to be a love 'em or hate 'em thing. Hope that helps...

Hamilton, Mar 20, 2008
  3. mickm

mickm

thanks for that much appreciated , ive got a set of proac resonce 2s at the moment but moving to a bigger listerning room so after a replacment for the proacs that offer better bass , probably a bigger proac is the safe bet but though i would try somthink new , ta , mick

mickm, Mar 20, 2008
  4. mickm

pat36a

I'm looking at a pair of S8's so interested to see if anyone can add anything new to this thread?

pat36a, May 2, 2008
  5. mickm

DSJR

I thought the Response 2's to be one of Proac's triumphs to be honest, even at their inflated price when new.

In audiophool circles, Spendor are regarded as "Spendorszzzzzzzzz" as they don't have this artificial "speed" that is so well liked. The S8's sound magnifcently smooth, but involving and powerful. get them a few hands breadths from a back wall and nowhere near corners and perhaps consider cabling like the Chord Rumour that we mostly used with them. A clean, clear, slightly "assertive" sounding amp with a punchy but musical, bass performance would work best I feel.

The S8e's were a tad tauter low down and sounded a touch livelier as a result IIRC. A much underrated speaker I think.

Is your new room going to be able to take old S100/SP100's? These are too large for many of us, but the extra scale would be well worth while if you can get some space around them (stands aren't a problem if you know where to look).

DSJR, May 5, 2008
  6. mickm

pat36a

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys often have the answers.

How old are S8's likely to be?

When first released? When last sold before replacement by 8e's.

I listen a lot at low volume - S8 suited to this?

pat36a, May 5, 2008
  7. mickm

Hamilton

I think the S8's appeared about 8 years ago and were replaced by the e versions 3 or 4 years after that, but that's relying on fallible memory. You might find the info on the Spendor website. And they work well at low volume.

Hamilton, May 6, 2008
  8. mickm

pat36a

Thanks

pat36a, May 8, 2008
Ask a Question