You know your HIFI is fine when you stop listening to the sound and start listening..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Dec 21, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

... to the music

Do you think this is a good statement?

I have noticed tonight with my new Cambridge amp that I have actually started to listen to the music completely forgetting about sound quality. I am dancing without realising and slowly cranking the volume as I want more.

This must be surely a sign of a good sounding setup?

amazingtrade, Dec 21, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

Illuminist

Its a good amp when you hear your choice of music with more detail and realism. The Cambridge will be probably giving off a rather mid-fi sound.

...Source dependant, though.

Illuminist, Dec 21, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Upgrades are often followed by a ''bask in the sun'' period (IME).

Ask yourself again in a month :)

bottleneck, Dec 21, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

Yeah the detail is all there but its not in your face, the only thing I have noticed is the treble is a bit too much but thats the fault of my Eltax speakers. The Monitors have always been known to be fine at rythem but a bit too bright at the high ends.

Its actually warmer than my marantz but still keeps that same wonderful sense of rythem. The 65w per channel makes me feel like a bit of a kid playing with his new toy though :D. The beasts goes very loud.

The CD6000 OSE LE is a damn fine source (for the £150 I paid for it) considering they cost £330 in 2002. However I am not sure if its the best source the Cambridge.

The kind of sound I am getting now is similar to what I have hearing from customers older but more expensive setups. I guess the PM6000 could sound a bit cold at times.

If I could improve the system I suppose deeper bass and slightly more open mid range is needed, I am not sure where this fault lies, probably my speakers.

5. amazingtrade

Haha yes :) I am already thinking of spending £200 on some new speakers :) I won't have the spare money for a few months now though :)

6. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

There is a pair of Spirit Absolute 2 passive studio monitors on Sound On Sound for £80 at the moment AT... These are good speakers for the money ;)

Also a pair of HHB Circle 5 Passive for £220. I have experience of the active version and they are lovely.

Tenson, Dec 21, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

titian

I know a lot of people who don't listen to the sound quality at all, when listening to their small radio.
    We also start to dance even if the system shows huge problems.
    The main point is what are your exigences at the moment.

Sometimes the system can put you out of track:
    - you want to listen to music and then you concentrate on sound quality or
    - you want to do a blind test but get so much involved in the music that you it is impossible to concentrate in the sound quality
    It is not the system that does that: it is yourself!

You'll see in a few months time, how good the sound of your system is really for you: if you're still happy and excited about it, then it was a good thing to buy.
    If not you're very probably getting the feelings like many people do: getting used to the sound and wanting even better.

Anyway I'm happy for you that you can enjoy music.

titian, Dec 21, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

inicholson I Nicholson

The fact that you keep turning it up is a good sign - I decided my stereo was good enough when I realised that, like you, I kept turning the volume up. Apparently it's often very loud, but I don't notice until someone comes into the room and struggles to make themself heard over the stereo.

inicholson, Feb 4, 2016
  9. amazingtrade

kuifje19

Yep, When the stereoset delivers a clean sound, you will turn up the volume not realizing was is loud enough in the first place. Thats also my experiance. There even is a lot of difference in the recordings you are listening to. Very much then depends on the quality of the recording/disc.
    So the new copycontroled-cd's want win this game. Never noticed? Try once more.
    In short, clean music want make you feel tired.

kuifje19, Feb 5, 2016
  10. amazingtrade

Romulus

When you are nodding your head and tapping your feet to the beat of the music your half way there and when you are doing air guitar furiously on your knees on the floor this system has got you by the balls!

Romulus, Feb 8, 2016
  11. amazingtrade

uzzy

I have always tried to listen to the music .. after all don't forget temperature and a host of other things will affect the performance of your hifi so some days it sings better than others ... too many people listen to the equipment .. sad but true .. always worries me when you visit someone who has spent a fortune on the hifi and has less than a few hundred cds and /or albums. My last equipment purchase was getting my Decca Gold retipped by Expert Stylus that was a few years back now that cost me nearly £300 but since then I have easily spent £300 on CDS and Vinyl. Remember the quote "try a good earwash before changing anything"

uzzy, Apr 2, 2016
Ask a Question