2 Channel or 5 channel?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Dec 13, 2004.

1. liamjf

liamjf

My setup is as below and I am interesred in upgrading the DAC. Basically after more punch and detail, more drive and general grooviness ;)
    But I also have an AV setup at home with big telly etc and so I was tempted by buying a second hand TAG AV32r192 (going price about £1100 these days) as presumably this would be a big increase over the DAC-20 and also massivly improve the DVD side of things and (possibly) bring the box count down! Does this sound like a sensible route or do people believe in stereo DACs only?
    With this comes the other consideration - adding an AV processor/DAC would then mean I didn't need a pre/integrated amp so then I would sell the Primare 30.1 and buy a 5 channel power amp. Obvious choice would be the Primare 30.5 (I do like the Primare sound) but is there anything else out there that would be better (around £1200 as well I guess?)
    Any thoughts gentle readers? :)

Liam.

liamjf, Dec 13, 2004
  2. liamjf

GaryG

You might want to consider a Meridian processor such as the 568.2, they have the advantage of having digital outputs as well as analogue outputs (handy for connecting your DAC to the processor L/R channels for improved DVD playback, assuming of course your external DAC is better than the processor DACs).

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Dec 13, 2004
Ask a Question