220v - Any compatibility issues?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jackthebiscuit, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm looking at possibly bringing in a CD player from the Orient which is configured for 220v. Would there be any compatibility issues running it from UK mains?

Jackthebiscuit, Apr 12, 2004
  2. Jackthebiscuit

michaelab desafinado

No, there won't be a problem. The real issues are with US equipment which runs at 110V and 60Hz (instead of 50Hz like most of the world).

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 12, 2004
  3. Jackthebiscuit

HenryT

Speaking as someone who has personally brought back the odd 220V electrical items from Hong Kong into the UK, I can confirm what Michael says i.e. that they'll no be probs. :)

No entirely sure how significant the 50/60Hz mains frequency issue is though for items from continental North America teritories though. Yes, I could imagine that if the mains frequency is used to regulate say the speed of a motor on a t/t say for example, that could be a bit of a problem. Having said that I've recently imported a 120V US/Canadian spec CD player which I've been happily using with a step down transformer for a couple of weeks now with no issues.

This link has a useful table of worldwide mains voltage standards:

http://www.powerstream.com/CV.htm

HenryT, Apr 13, 2004
Ask a Question