2nd hand Linn Ekos

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by griffo104, Jul 21, 2005.

1. griffo104

griffo104

I've listened to all the current Kuzma decks, including the HUGE reference model which I think is one very ugly deck but sounded excellent.

The bottom of the range was very good - not quite as good as the lp12 but considering the difference in price - and I like the chance to have 2 tonearms on - not exactly sure why mind you.

I've read reviews of the Brinkmann and would like to hear it but absolutely no chance of ever being able to afford it - may need to get myself over to a show next time.

I would also quite like to listen to the SME 10 deck as well.

Having said that I do really like my LP12.

So many decks, so little time (and money).

griffo104, Jul 25, 2005
  2. griffo104

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just goes to show how 2 people can have completely different preferences!

I prefered the Kuzma Stobi S Stogi S to a nottingham analogue spacedeck/spacearm, which I in turn prefered to the gyrodec with Orbe platter I had at the time, which in turn I prefered to an LP12 when I compared the 2!

Hifi, a truly bizarre hobby!!

If you truly prefered the LP12, perhaps the best thing is to stick with what you have?

bottleneck, Jul 25, 2005
  3. griffo104

griffo104

I have no intention of changing the Linn, but I do think there are lots of great decks out there at the moment - I'd like to have more than one (being greedy again).

One thing I like about Kuzma is the detailed explanation of record replay and his thoughts on it on the website. Goes a bit over my head but does show how much thought goes into these things.

griffo104, Jul 25, 2005
  4. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes I thought it looked well engineered. I was epsecially interested in the air-line arm recently having ehard the airtangent.

Brinkmann are releasing a new affordable deck - some weird maglev direct drive arrangement or soemthing. I think its half the price of the lagrange.

I heard the sme 10 - didnt do much for me - lacked pace. Good for classical but not so great for rock.

anon_bb, Jul 25, 2005
  5. griffo104

Dick Bowman

If you were familiar with the early history of the LP12 you would know why this has not happened.

Dick Bowman, Jul 26, 2005
  6. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

lp12

I would presume you are referring to the fact that it is so derivative of another design.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  7. griffo104

merlin

Much like Brinkmann then.

merlin, Jul 26, 2005
  8. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Brinkmann resembles the audiolabor - which brinkmann also designed as you well know merlin. In the case of the linn the original design was not theirs. Big difference.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  9. griffo104

merlin

The tone arm?

merlin, Jul 26, 2005
  10. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Made under license from breuer - again a big difference. In addition the tonearm has been reworked by Brinkmann from the ground up and sounds much better than the breuer 7 or 8. Again, big difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
    anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  11. griffo104

griffo104

And the cartridge is sourced from EMT ??? And then Brinkmann again does his bit to it.

I don't suppose Linn need to redesign the LP12, after all how many high end decks sell in serious numbers to justify doing this ?

How many new LP12s do Linn actually sell nowadays, 2nd hand market is flush with them but from what I can see the Gyro sells a bagful at the £1000 (ish) mark, and there seem to be a lot forum members buying Notts tables around that price as well - I'm talking decks here not arms and carts - and this is probably where the LP12 competes nowdays, I'm basing that on a something a dealer told me when I first went looking for a deck.

griffo104, Jul 26, 2005
  12. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes thats correct. It is then re-fitted by VDH and then tweaked further by brinkmann.

As people are designing and releasing new decks one presumes that it would also be justified from linns point of view. However the issue in there case is how much extra they would gain given where they are now - i.e. they sell the lp12 regardless so why bother to expend resources to develop another deck when this one will sell just as well regardless of performance. Far better to spend a fraction of that money on marketing and bribes and perpetuating the mythology. Or see that the money is to be made elsewhere so the effort should be spent accordingly.

I would warrant linn probably still accounts for the majority of decks sold at its price point - in the uk at least.The gyro would be second - its looks sell it.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  13. griffo104

griffo104

Also the full Linn analogue replay system won the Stereophile 'best analogue system' this year - probably justifying to them that if it ain't broken why fix it.

I'm sure the weights on the Gyro have an hypnotic effect on buyers :D

Having seen the recent limited edition in black with the technoarm it really does look (and I'm sure sounds) stunning.

griffo104, Jul 26, 2005
  14. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes as I said a little bribe goes a long way for marketing purposes ;-) Truly the emporer has no clothes! So why should they bother to redesign what is selling - that being the key issue not performance.

The gyro is well engineered and looks good. Sound isnt outstanding IMHO - the orbe is much better though it still didnt grab me. The best decks I have heard are the Yorke, Brinkmann and the avid. The origin live decks are good VFM, I thought the resolution beat both the orbe and the sme10.

However its all a matter of personal taste - if you are happy with the linn and what it does then you made the right choice for you.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  15. griffo104

Markus S Trade

Here we go again. This is the second time that you say Stereophile is corrupt. Care to produce any evidence?

Markus S, Jul 26, 2005
  16. griffo104

merlin

Now come on Markus, since when has Biohazard ever produced something to back up his amusing claims.

merlin, Jul 26, 2005
  17. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

The fact that they can vote the linn system as best analogue system? ;-)

About as often as you have merlin.

Seems the pf gang hang out here as well.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  18. griffo104

penance Arrogant Cock

Now Nicky, wheres the proof?

penance, Jul 26, 2005
  19. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well the proof is on the awards page ;-)

Wow ... three of them now... someone must have let off the biohazard warning!

Where are sloppie and darryl?

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  20. griffo104

penance Arrogant Cock

No, proof of your statement that they took a bribe.

penance, Jul 26, 2005
Ask a Question