2nd hand Linn Ekos

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by griffo104, Jul 21, 2005.

1. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Its on the award page - noone would vote the linn best analogue system otherwise!

I have it on good authority that the entire stereophile staff are are in fact giant cannibalistic extraterrestrial lizards hell bent on destroying our civilisation through the corruption of the hifi industry.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  2. griffo104

Markus S Trade

Well, it so happens that Nick and I had that discussion before, on PFM. I pointed out to him that allegations about bribery are libel. This time around, he doesn't even try to disguise the libel as questions.

On PFM, he stated he heard a story from someone close to a manufacturer, or a manufacturer, about something that went down in the UK. He didn't even claim to have heard anything about Stereophile, let alone produce anything within a mile of substantiation. Yet he feels moved to repeat his slanderous remarks. It does make me question his motives.

For the record, and to repeat myself, I know some of the people at Stereophile. I would be very, very surprised if anybody there was stupid enough to risk his livelihood by accepting bribes.

Markus S, Jul 26, 2005
  3. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually markus its is quite clear my comment is a joke given my wink and remarks about lizards. The basis of the humour being that any mag that votes the linn best analog system MUST be taking a back hander as it is so clearly not. Get down off your high horse.

Also on pfm I made no allegation specifically about stereophile and as I recall I in fact refused to tell you anything about what I knew so there is no issue of libel. If you beleive I made a libellous statement on PFM then please reproduce it.

Over the years I have heard various stories about various reviewers and mags from numerous sources. None of which I found surprising from reading between the lines in mags and from the reviews themselves and none of which I will repeat here. Mag reviews are a long way from reality and that is itself something for grave concern. I beleive what hifi was also sucessfully prosecuted quite a few years back for outright bribery and corruption - though I stand ready to be corrected on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
    anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  4. griffo104

Markus S Trade

Nick,

I'm afraid I have better things to do with my time than pursuing pointless arguments with you. Have a good day. And reread the relevant thread on pfm to refresh your memory.

Markus S, Jul 26, 2005
  5. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Odd given you started the discussion. There is no libelous statement on the PFM thread, otherwise you would produce it with relish. A fact already discussed on the pfm thread at some length when you accused me of libel. Its only hifi take it easy.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  6. griffo104

griffo104

Just to throw a spanner in the works - MF in Stereophile recently stated that the Brinkmann was the finest replay system he had heard, excepting the Rockport sirius and it did appear reading in between the lines that he may be getting his hands on one permenantely.

The LP12 is now a class B recommened component in Stereophile (dropping from an A). I would suggest that within the 12 months used for the award the Linn was the finest analogue replay heard.

I'm trusting MF as I have a Lyra Dorian waiting for me to play with this weekend :D

griffo104, Jul 26, 2005
  7. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Curses I have inadvertantly sold out! Which bandwagon should I jump on next?

Lets see if he "acquires" a brinkmann in the near future...

It is indeed hard to credit such a drop - especially as other decks have not altered their rating.

I doubt the rockport is all that. MF just doesnt want to backtrack on everything he said about it. He uses the word maybe and thats easy to do given he isnt comparing them side by side. So everyone is happy.

Take a look at arthur salvatore's website for a lot of interesting discussion on the hifi industry and sterophiles recommended components list.

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  8. griffo104

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Nicky boy, you at it again, some things never change :rolleyes:

wadia-miester, Jul 26, 2005
  9. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  10. griffo104

Well Nicky as an 'Non industry insider' I really can't make any comment on this case.
    I get treated the same as you guys, in fact most of the scribes can't abide me :p
    However there's no denying that the gear works, sort of a love hate thang.
    Which for me is rather cool, as no anal, back slapping & root canal treatment or blackballing can bother me. AS I'm not in their club :)
    Which strangely works for me, as my products have to stand on their own merits, which in this industry is quite rare. T.

11. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well in essence I agree with you WM - though I cant vouch for your products not having heard any, or even knowing what they are besides cables.

Have you had dealings with the hi-fi press?

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  12. griffo104

I've had 2 reviews, both for power cables, one low voltage 5 stars in Hifi world (Feb 2004), and one in HIFI news, Howard Popeck (june 2004), who loathes cables, yet strangely he got a repeatable difference on all the kit he tried it with.
    To be honest there are only a few Genuinely neutral scribes, who I feel offer as close to an unbiased opinoin as you can get for a mag.
    I feel, that letting satisfied customers giving their own thoughts, is a more realistic approach, though it won't make you $$£$$£air, but then we don't have to let our equipment out on 'Long term permanant loan'
    Wm who's pretty fair yet doesn't pander to publications.
    The guys started a thread about this last year

Experimental

13. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes I fear so given the tangled web of reviewers, editors, shops, distributors and manufacturers. Hard to take anything in a hifi mag seriously especially HIFI+ (who only seem to give good reviews to all the equipment from distributors advertising in their pages). Their recent cable blind test (surprise surprise they perform roughly in order of price with nordost at the top and one exception to proove the rule and "legitimise" the test) had me in stitches.

Which scribes do you recommend sloppie?

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  14. griffo104

I have no connection with anymags at all, though I do know serveral reviewers personally.
    I do also feel, you cannot tar All of them with the same brush, the odd few have morals which is quite refreshing.
    What ever our feeling for various equipment, the only well for the person to judge if you like is in their own system, with just their ears over a period of time.
    Simple, no likey<>no pay. verbaitum
    Sorry, but I have an amp finish Nick maybe later. T.

15. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am sure some are oasis of integrity - but few and far between.

If only all people made such informed decisions sloppie and ignored reviewers and marketing.

What amp are you working on and what are you doing with the poor thing?

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  16. griffo104

A brand new one, just trying to construct a bomb proof faraday cage for it, proving to be a little more tricky than I first gave it credit for.
    really do have to get on with it. Wm

17. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Wow your own design? What are the features of interest sloppie? Do you find a faraday cage offers benefits over and above a tightly sealed aluminium case?

anon_bb, Jul 26, 2005
  18. griffo104

Nicky,
    I don't do run of the mill, normal or standard.
    Sloppie uses his own version of bib & braces, maybe a touch OTT,however it gets the desired results

19. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

bib and braces? oh sloppie... is it your own amp design or not - stop talking in riddles!

anon_bb, Aug 2, 2005
  20. griffo104

Garrardman

Frankly, I'm disappointed.

This thread was hilarious in the first few pages ( i nearly spat coffee all over my keyboard when i read Paul R's turntable heirarchy!), but it's gone completely off-topic and dull now!

:D

Garrardman, Aug 2, 2005
Ask a Question