A comparison of local authorities...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Mar 20, 2005.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Oldham MBC: Half expect you not to pay your council tax. Most of the form is about ways to pay, and the phone numbers are hidden in small print. If credit cards are used only the entire balance can be paid in one go, not installments. Phone line only open monday-fri.

Kirklees: Nice clear form. All the phone numbers are in bold, and the phone line is open saturday morning. But, even better, you can pay online with one of the simplest, clearest and quickest online payment systems I have ever used.

Oh, and oldham currently owe me a large amount of council tax which they demanded before the end of the year and are now dragging their feet over giving back to me. They didn't have an answer as to what I was supposed to use to pay kirklees...

I-S, Mar 20, 2005
  2. I-S

Sid and Coke

Got my Council tax bill this morning.
    I usually pay mine over 10 months. This year my Initial payment has gone up by £10 compared to last year and the remaining 9 have gone up by £4 so on the whole not too un-happy.

The sooner the councils get their act together and seize money at source for all those that haven't paid the better AFAIK, I'm sick of subsidising spongers and chancers. I hate paying my bills too but it has to be done however 'un-fair' some folk seem to think it is. That is the system so just get with the program is my view...

Sid and Coke, Mar 23, 2005
  3. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Indeed. But it seems to me that as keen as they are for you to pay it (and I was paid up in full to oldham before the end of january), they're not keen on giving you back what you're owed.

I-S, Mar 23, 2005
  4. I-S

T-bone Sanchez

I had a letter from our local council telling us that a member of our staff had been in court (he took the day off sick) for council tax evasion. We have to deduct his council tax straight from his wages as a result. However, he was one of the staff we let-go last week, even so, we have to fill out a form explaining tha he's left and why etc etc and return it within 14 days or else we become liable for the fine! So, for a very small business whose owner went on his 2 week holiday the day the letter came, unlucky!

T-bone Sanchez, Mar 23, 2005
  5. I-S

Slaphead Lurking less

Just wait until the revaluations happen. I reckon most properties will go up a band at least, maybe two. :mad:

Slaphead, Mar 23, 2005
  6. I-S

penance Arrogant Cock

Bristol council, arse from elbow types.
    Not council tax but, father was being assessed for funding of his stay in a nursing home, even though we had already been told it was being paid for. 6 months after his admition they say it wont be paid and want it all back paid to last October (around 3.5K). I had already filled out the means test forms for dad, they send the same forms twice again, then they want to value the house with a view to selling it to cover dads stay in the home. It took 2 days of phone calls for them to accept it is temporary, if they take his house where the hell is he meant to go when released from the nursing home??
    They finaly send a re-calculated bil and an appology for the misunderstanding. One week after that they send another means test form and say they want to value the house with a view to selling.....
    They realy dont know their ass from elbows. I have now written to them and explained that i will not complete any more forms due to their incompetence, they are not welcome to see the house and that we refuse to pay any bill at all on the basis i dont trust a bill from people who cant communicate with the guy in the next office:mad:

penance, Mar 23, 2005
Ask a Question