A Handy Tip

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kermit, Jun 25, 2003.

1. kermit

Mekon Rent this space

No, not at all. Thanks for the heads up. Off the top of your head, you don't know the max that 6mm2 can take, do you? 2 runs of 6mm2 is all I can accomodate.

Mekon, Jun 26, 2003
  2. kermit

kermit still dreaming.......

6mm2 is rated at 38amps inside trunking,walls
    rated at 51amps in freespace

10mm2 is rated at 52ampsinside trunking, walls
    rated at 70amps in freespace.

personally i,d run both cables to a wall socket , which would create a ring main and from what i,ve read (or remember)this means that you then double the power .

ie 2 spurs of 6mm2 are rated at 38amps
    i ring main with two 6mm2 is rated at 76amps

PLEASE CHECK THIS WITH YOUR ELECTRICIAN

or maybe either lilolee or hippy will confirm (far more knowledgeable than me)

it,s a moot point for me as i use a 10mm2 ring main , so either way i,m in spec .

i,m sure i gleaned this info from either RA,s mains booklet or an article in hifi + , but i can,t find either and i,ve not had much luck on the www .
    i think its worth trying both set ups , (ring and spur)just to to see if theres an audible difference . as i said earlier from what i,ve gleaned on the forums , the naim guys seem to like what a spur offers . :)

kermit, Jun 26, 2003
  3. kermit

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

cople of points to make sure your all complying with BS7671 (iee 16 edition wiring regs).The protective device (fuse,mcb)shall be rated at the lowest rating of the equipmen its protecting,so if its a 16A iec connector then a device no greater than 16A must be fitted,
    for socket outlets adevice no greater than 32A for a ring final circuit, or radial circuit using cable =or > 4mm,and 20 amps for a radiual using 2.5mm cable.
    if the mcb trips out due to the inrush cuirrent fit a slower device, for mcb's a type B,3 or D instead of a type 2,if its a cartridge fuse get a motor rated device.

themadhippy, Jun 26, 2003
Ask a Question