A Musical Afternoon

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Jun 21, 2003.

1. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

A glourious musical afternoon was had today, just Vibe's and chat, and lots and lots of music, Dean (SICDB)(been to Bristol to pick up some speakers) and Henry came along for the musical ride today, to say hello and bang out the Music, shed loads of it too, Chopin/George Bensen/Ja Wobble/Eric Johnson/Nine below Zero/Paul Jones/Alannah Miles/Steve Vai/Jimmy Whitherspoon/Eagles/Natalie Imbruglia/Chris Farlowe/plus lots of Dean's Vibes, some Great Funk/Reggie top tunes.
    Thanks to Dean for dropping in, good to see him again.(Jeeze, what that guy doesn't know about music is not worth writing on the back of a match). Henry to, for the return visit and a chance to listen to the changes, but above all the music. Tone

wadia-miester, Jun 21, 2003
  2. wadia-miester

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Tone,

Good to see you & HenryT again. It was a very vibe down at yours. It's good to have a good chat about music & to listen to some nice tunes. Thanks for letting me pop in.

I enjoyed listening to Tones music maker. It has improved since I last listened to it. (November last year). One of the main changes has been the loudspeakers. Meadowlark Shearwaters are much more to my taste than the Monitor Audio he had before. I liked the way the system handled the vast styles of music on offer.

I had a selection of cds on offer. We played the following from my pile,

Ernest Ranglin. In search of the lost Riddem. Island Jamaica Jazz
    Prince Buster. Fabulous Greatest Hits. Sequal
    Giles Peterson Worldwide. Talkin loud.
    Various Artist New Orleans Funk. Soul Jazz.

A selection of tunes that included Funk & roots of funk, Chilled grooves both laidback & uptempo, Old style Ska & Jamaica Jazz with African elements. All good for the ears.

It was good Tone & HenryT enjoyed the selection.

The reason I was passing was that I had been & picked up more goodies for the collection.

Something that should go well with Valves & vinyl...........

A pair of Impulse horn loudspeakers.:D

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 21, 2003
  3. wadia-miester

auric FOSS

On into the evening

I think I'll will trust to the judgement of Bob Harris, get some beers in and relax for the rest of the evening.

Not cutting edge but I like it.

Auric:)

auric, Jun 21, 2003
  4. wadia-miester

HenryT

Hi Tone & SCIDB,

Thanks for the great company and a fine musical afternoon indeed. Came away with another list of album titles added to my ever growing to buy list, and a blank sheet on the "hi-fi wants" front - at the moment. ;)

The DCT'd Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cables that WM now uses in place of the Townshend Isoldas are indeed worthy replacements/upgrades/sucessors. :MILD: Everything the Isoldas do, the character of sound remains basically the same, but more of everyting - especially at the frequency extremes which are really clean and extend even further up and down.

So, a little of the cuff prediction I made on a post back on Groovhandle some time ago wasn't so wrong after all then? :p

HenryT, Jun 22, 2003
  5. wadia-miester

Ok Henry, we'll let you have that one, I concede :) , they do take it up a level or 2 don't they,especialy adding yet more presence and texture and realisum to the mid range, and virtualy elminiating grain and grit, but also how the speed/dynamic's and bass have improved markedly as well (the Eric Johnsonn tracks were especialy 'Live' I felt). My main concern was that after hearing them at Grahams, the bass wasn't as good (speed or tighteniness or extension) or that the top end was particulary harsh, glassy almost. Now Graham has changed propulsion unit, be good to see how these would fair now. The list of music to buy was as Henry said getting longer, Dean bought some good stuff that will be accquired this week, A trip to Fopp at bristol is on for Wednesday. Cheers Guys. Tone

wadia-miester, Jun 23, 2003
  6. wadia-miester

HenryT

Yep, the G3 In Concert disc was indeed the most convincing (hi-fi and musically communicative) rendition I've yet heard. Even the bass went lower too as there was lots more of the leg vibrating stuff than there was before, yet everything was tighter too, like the definition and stop/start on bass guitar notes. Oh, and mid range textures to die for too.

Maybe that you now run a really "decent" set of speakers helps in the appreciation of the Holograms. :cool:

HenryT, Jun 23, 2003
  7. wadia-miester

That's 2 I've had to concede now :p careful, you'll be after my title of Forum rottweiler :D cheers Tone

wadia-miester, Jun 23, 2003
  8. wadia-miester

Steven Toy

Tone,

Just to confirm thatI should be able to make it for about 3:30pm on Tuesday 8th July.

Steven Toy, Jun 23, 2003
  9. wadia-miester

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Guys - Nine below zero - for real!? Cool! :D

I've got the album (as in vinyl) with "11 + 11" on it and the album is pretty damn good - I love the harmonica work. I'd love to catch them live if they're still doing the rounds!

domfjbrown, Jun 23, 2003
Ask a Question