A new subwoofer? Which one? There are so many choices...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jeroen_v, Jan 9, 2004.

?

Which sub?

1. Mj Acoustics Reference 1

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Rel Storm III

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other....

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. jeroen_v

jeroen_v

Hi,

I am looking for some quality sub-bass for HT use. After reading the review from Robbo of the MJ Acoustics reference 1 on this site this sub looks like a good choice. Does any of you have HT experience with this Reference 1? Did you compare it with a Rel Storm III? The specs of both subwoofers look the same.

Of course I am going to listen my self, but I get the feeling that the MJ is a little faster (that means better with HT?!?) than the Rel Storm III. That maybe a reason to buy the MJ?

Perhaps there's another model like the B&W ASW750 that is worth listening? I e-mailed Robbo and he mentioned Velodyne subs? Is this brand a good (perhaps better?) option for HT use?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Jeroen Verhaar from the Netherlands

jeroen_v, Jan 9, 2004
  2. jeroen_v

merlin

jeoren,

you might like to try out the new Monitor Audio. It's scary for the money:JOEL:

merlin, Jan 9, 2004
  3. jeroen_v

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, Jan 9, 2004
  4. jeroen_v

Matt F

Best bang for the buck in the UK a few months back was the Paradigm Servo 15 (they sell for something like $1500 in the USA) but you could pick them up for £400 here! Unbelievable price and a great sub (awesome for home cinema) - if they are available in your neck of the woods then try them out.

Other than that then, as you are specifically interested in home cinema then check out Velodyne's CHT15 - big beast, 15" driver, 300 watt amp - can really move some air but does it very well. Compares well against the Paradigm and the likes of M&K's MX350 which is mega £'s over here.

You might also like to consider SVS subs - big ugly cylindrical subs and you have to order them direct from the USA but very good performers and excellent value for money.

The Storm III and MJA Ref 1 are very nice subs too but perhaps more suited to music than home cinema - still very good at the latter though, they just can't go as deep as the big boxes with the 15" drivers.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 9, 2004
  5. jeroen_v

jeroen_v

Yes, I just read some review about the SVS subs. A lot of people are very satisfied with their SVS 20-39 PC-Plus subwoofer. On a Dutch forum some people actually organized a "powerbuy" from SVS. They are very happy with their SVS.
    Since you can only order these subwoofers from the svs website, I find it very risky to buy them. I really want to hear a subwoofer before buying. Maybe I should find someone in Holland who has such a svs subwoofer.

Thanks for the replies!

Jeroen

jeroen_v, Jan 10, 2004
  6. jeroen_v

Respectamonkeee

I'd reccomend a cht 15 or a spl 1200 from velodyne as these both offer serious bass,I thnk the servo 15s are a little hard to get hold of but offer fantastic low levels

Im not a fan of any sub with ports as this can introduce chuffing and wind noise...
    If you have the cash and want ultimate bass extension try finding a HGS15 or 18 as these can go to 5hz and really shake you up inside

have a hgs 18 myself and the only thing that tops it is the new velodyne DD18 which is pretty much the same but offer more driver excursion and built in EQ...great bit of kit but at around £3300 expensive

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2004
    Respectamonkeee, Jan 10, 2004
  7. jeroen_v

Ian J

Hi Jeroen, so you've popped up here as well now.

I have had a variety of subwoofers in my HT system including an early and late REL Storm both of which I liked but I now have an SVS 20-39 PC plus which is far superior to the Storm as well as being much cheaper.

The Paradigm Servo 15, SVS 20-39 PC Plus and the Velodyne HGS-18 are all much of a muchness but the SVS scores heavily with price as it is sold directly by the manufacturer and so doesn't have any importer or dealer profits on top.

Ian J, Jan 11, 2004
  8. jeroen_v

jeroen_v

Re: Re: A new subwoofer? Which one? There are so many choices...

Hi Ian!

I was into the Philips regionfee "business" for a while, but I bought an Onkyo player last year. My site is still there, but I am no longer providing updates on the site. People ask me about firmwares and I give them the link to your site.

I am looking for some serious sub-bass woofers. When reading reviews, forums etc. I decided not to go for a Rel, beacuse they are especially made for music.
    Accoring to reviews SVS has great subs that work great with HT and music. I found a Dutch owner of an SVS PB2-ISD. He invited me to come listen to his SVS :) If I like the sound (which I probably will) I will order an SVS.
    Personally I like the looks of the box subs more than the cylinder subs. The question now is should I buy an SVS 20-39 PC Plus or an SVS PB2-ISD? I just send SVS an e-mail with my room layout and my wishes. Their support team answers real quickly, so I am really looking forward for their answers on my last e-mail.

Kind regards,
    Jeroen

jeroen_v, Jan 11, 2004
  9. jeroen_v

Matt F

Hang on a minute Ian, having owned the smaller 15" HGS and more recently a Servo 15 I'd say there is a fair gap between them, the HGS being so remarkably keen. The Servo is still very, very good (and amazing value in the UK, when available) but HGS was better, make no mistake about it.

As for the SVS, I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read it's the PC/CS Ultra versions that have done very well against the likes of the HGS18 (but not, unsurprisngly, being able to compete with the HGS18's amazing accuracy). They both came up in this review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

Still, as I mentioned above, great value (like the Servo 15 over here) and very, very good.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 11, 2004
  10. jeroen_v

jeroen_v

Re: Re: Re: A new subwoofer? Which one? There are so many choices...

Hi Matt,

You told in an earlier reply that the Servo 15 costs about £400. Do you know an internetshop in England where I can find a Servo 15 for £400?

Jeroen

jeroen_v, Jan 11, 2004
  11. jeroen_v

jeroen_v

jeroen_v, Jan 11, 2004
  12. jeroen_v

Matt F

Re: Re: Re: Re: A new subwoofer? Which one? There are so many choices...

Unfortunately, the only UK supplier of Paradigm are Richer Sounds and they have run out of Servo 15's (not surprising given the price they were selling them for) and there's no telling when or even if they will get any more in. They actually import the subs themselves i.e. a whole batch arrives on a ship from Canada so you tend to get a batch of 50 and then nothing for 6 months.

Even if they do get them in again, I'm not sure how much luck you would have in getting on sent over to you because, as I found, even getting hold of one in the UK is difficult enough due to Richer Sounds' unimpressive service.

You can check on the Paradigm website to see if there is a distributor in your country.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 11, 2004
  13. jeroen_v

Respectamonkeee

Ian j im shocked...i know you have a SVS but i really dont think that you can class a 20-39 next to a HGS18

sure they are great value for money and offer great bass for that money...but a hgs they aint m8 :SLEEP:

Respectamonkeee, Jan 12, 2004
  14. jeroen_v

juboy

Depends on your budget, but if you want the best there is for semi-affordable money, Velodyne Digital Drive Series is the best thing on the market before you get into the really exotic stuff over £5k.

I have the DD-15 and it illuminated me to why certain subs don't work in certain rooms but, most importantly, it also allowed me to tune the sub so that it not only works in my room but does so in a manner no other currently available sub could ever have done (even with a BFD).

The whole range just won www.hometheaterhifi.com Best of 2003 award for subwoofer technology.

juboy, Jan 12, 2004
  15. jeroen_v

avanzato

Jeroen have you considered the AW-1000 from Nubert or maybe a THX sub from Teufel.

You like the look of box subs and the Nubert comes in real wood finish and has remote control too. Both makes review well and as you say you're in the Netherlands so '€uro zone', no importation or currency expenses. My SVS ended up at around £600 after duties and that was for one of the lower end ones.

avanzato, Jan 12, 2004
Ask a Question