A straw poll on valve hybrid equipment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Arkless Electronics, May 15, 2024.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

I'm curious as to what proportion of audiophiles would reject hybrid designs due to either regarding them as "ruining a valve unit by adding sand/cursed transistors" or even the somewhat opposite view that "it can't be any good in bass tightness and "PRaT" 'cos its got valves in it".... or indeed any other relevant POV's on the matter that may not have occurred to me!

My own definition of hybrid, in this context, differs somewhat from the general norm in that I define it as equipment in which both valves and solid state (SS) are used together in a circuit as parts of the overall topology and NOT as eg a valve line stage followed by a SS power amp all in one box to produce a "hybrid" integrated, but that's by the by for now.

Arkless Electronics, May 15, 2024
  2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

It seems I've discovered the least controversial topic in hi fi....

I guess if no one even has an opinion on the matter then that's one thing less to worry about:D

Arkless Electronics, May 16, 2024
  3. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

Regardless of whether it has valves in it or not, it's the technical performance that would get me interested, or not. If it has valves, there must be a technical benefit, or it's pointless.

The exception is valve power amps that I use in a second system, just because of the looks.

S

Sergeauckland, May 16, 2024
  4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

With all due respect Serge... you're hardly the typical hi fi punter (nor I!). Unfortunately the typical punter knows very little about electronics and will often make a choice which seems to be swayed by mainly "peer pressure/what's in fashion/what that bloke from Sterophile say's".... plus maybe divination by tea leaves... or the intestines of a goat by the light of a full moon or something.... allegedly:D

I have little doubt that a fair few will reject a hybrid simply because it contains transistors as well as valves... OR because it contains valves as well as transistors... and without any technical reasoning on the matter.

The prevalence (or not) of such beliefs is what I was trying to get a handle on.

Arkless Electronics, May 16, 2024
  5. Arkless Electronics

lawrence001

What would the valves do according to your definition of hybrid? Does valve rectification of solid state power give any benefit for example? Solid state rectification of valve power is obviously more common and some say it has its advantages.

I think the later Croft power amps are a "true" hybrid amplifier having a valve input stage rather than a simple buffer (if that makes sense).

A valve output stage in a DAC is another example of a hybrid component but that's similar to having a valve pre amp with solid state power (although loosely in reverse). I've seen some DACs with valves in the digital stage which I've never quite got my head round.

lawrence001, May 30, 2024
  6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

Generally valves would be used as voltage amplifiers, which is what they do best. There are no advantages to valve rectification or regulation other than the usefulness of a slow start which can be needed in a few situations. Valve rectification for solid state power amp would be virtually impossible anyway. Indeed there are "true" hybrid power amps from Croft.

Arkless Electronics, May 30, 2024
Ask a Question