A240SA Hum...

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Lobos, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Lobos

Lobos

My trusty QED A240SA, bought from new back in 1987, now has a hum (sounds like mains). I've spent a while trying to trace its source, replaced several capacitors, literally reversed engineered the whole circuit diagram (I downloaded a service sheet and found this to be helpful, but was incorrect and unclear due to photocopy, and missing information in places). Anyway, I have learned a lot about amplifier circuitry (Class A/B/AB...), but still not enough to solve the hum. The hum can be heard distinctly through the speakers and headphones. Separating the pre-amp and power-amp stages, the hum is still there, so getting in at the PA? The hum is common to both channels, so assumed a capacitor common to both, which have all been replaced (as far as I can deduce the correct type, i.e. ceramic, polyester film, etc), this is where I think experienced knowledge is now required: there is some ripple at the main PA output terminals at around 9mV, possibly at 100Hz (as a result of the push-pull design? Is this enough to be audible?). The main 4700uF caps haven't been replaced (I can't find a direct replacement yet, but they test OK with my cheap tester). There is a large amount of ripple on the +/-33V power lines, similar frequency, at around 800mV, but I think this is normal for this type of amplifier? There is a lot more to this, as I managed to blow up the right channel transistors, but now thankfully back to square one after replacing several of them. But the hum is still there! Any pointers, ideas most welcome please? All the best.

Lobos, Mar 9, 2024
  2. Lobos

John_BS

I'm in the Wincanton area, and more than happy to have a look at it for you, if you want to pop 'round .
    John

John_BS, Mar 10, 2024
  3. Lobos

Lobos

Hi John, many thanks for your reply. I've replaced all the caps now, logically IMHO, except the big 4700u ones, which I'm looking to do now, but I don't understand why caps rated at 4700u/40V vary so much in size and packaging! The current ones are 40mm x 46mm, three pin, but some/most I've seen are much smaller and some much larger (e.g. 40mm x 100mm), plus 3pin and 2pin variants with purportedly the same rating. How does one know what to get, without spending a fortune in trial an error? All the best.

Lobos, Mar 11, 2024
  4. Lobos

Lobos

Hello again John. Thank you again for your offer of help. I have sussed it out however, I'm a bit slow, but methodical and determined. I started out as a repair technician, but then moved on to computers, so never really gathered much experience in analog stuff. I tried out LTSpice, and was gobsmacked to find that simulating the power amp (& pre-amp) and power supply was relatively straight forward. Learned a lot, some of which came back from the distant past, but to cut a long story short, I realised that the bias pots in simulation can have a significant effect on the supply ripple, so as per the "service sheet" I had downloaded (it was wrong in several places) set the pots to give 10-20mV at the output transistors, they were a long way out at 150mV and 300mV, and hey presto, now no 100Hz hum, the Amp is now working great! I'm wondering now if that is all I needed to do in the first place considering its age. All the best and thanks again.

Lobos, Mar 13, 2024
  5. Lobos

John_BS

Glad you got it sorted! It sounded like a problem of that nature, i.e. not an actual component fault.
    John

John_BS, Mar 15, 2024
Ask a Question