Active ATC v passive PMC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pauldixonuk, Apr 3, 2005.

1. pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

How do you rate the sonic difference between an Active pair of ATC 50's and a passive pair of PMC IB2's running from a bryston 14bsst? To be used in home hifi setup.

Thanks

pauldixonuk, Apr 3, 2005
  2. pauldixonuk

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

PMC does bass, but is harder at the top, atc are more neutral, the 14bst powered the BH2's ok, bit dry though and lacking some thwack, but effortless power, limitless headroom and quality build 20 year garantee, worth a listen.
    I feel you would need atc 100's to be more equal. Wm

wadia-miester, Apr 3, 2005
  3. pauldixonuk

sideshowbob Trisha

For possibly the first time ever I agree with WM :) PMC have always sounded hard and fatiguing to me, don't like the way they do bass either, it goes deep but isn't exactly tuneful IMO, very hard to distinguish individual bass notes in the murk.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 3, 2005
  4. pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Mmmm.... that does it then. I don't like the idea of hard treble! I have a sub for the deep stuff anyway.

I originally liked the idea of hidden amps in the ATC, plus they do a nice piano black finish.

Thanks again.

pauldixonuk, Apr 3, 2005
  5. pauldixonuk

Sideshow, stunned :eek: :D .Still never own either though :)

6. pauldixonuk

Tenson Moderator

After listening to the OB1's today at the show I can see what people mean about the one tone bass. My AML1's are not like that though, and the IB2 's use the same transmission line design as the AML's just scaled up so I think you will be alright on that one. The flat carbon fibre woofers are great as well, very fast and controlled. There is no substitute for having a listen though!

Tenson, Apr 3, 2005
  7. pauldixonuk

Interesteringly at the Bristol the guys at PMC came into room and asked us to turn off the subs we had on :D Strange we had no subs :rolleyes: Just spot on timing and total musical coherence :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  8. pauldixonuk

yogus

I haven't heard the IB2s, but from what some people tell me they don't sound too much like the consumer models (OB1, FB1, GB1, DB1, TB2).

Like Tenson says, the flat piston drivers apparently make for better bass than the consumer models.

The IB2s are flatter in the midrange and would probably sound even harder and more revealing than say IB1s or OB1s.

You could try the IB1s (cheaper), which are more restrained through the mids. Both IB1/IB2 have adjustable HF filters I believe (-1.5db/-3db).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2005
    yogus, Apr 3, 2005
  9. pauldixonuk

Matt F

Hasn't the fabric dome upgrade cured the brightness? I loathe bright speakers but my PMC GB1's sound sweet at the top - detailed but not bright. I'd also go as far as to say they have really groovy bass but then I guess they aren't trying to reach as low as some of the bigger models.

Matt.

Matt F, Apr 4, 2005
Ask a Question