advice please - Acoustic treatments

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by ADPully, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ADPully

ADPully

My dedicated converted garage is now plastered and painted - awaiting final electrics connection and carpet. Its approx 16ft x 11fy x 9ft very echoey since plastering

I asking for your advice on Acoustic treatments? Is diy a sensible option here? Or is a man with a microphone and a computer needed? Im not really concerned with absolute accuraccy - Im more keen on having a system that encourages long term listening for me.

Ive found Soundsorba on the internet a box of 8 x 550mm sq pyramid panels for £136 - Is this price reasonable? I prefer plain looking stuff that has some level of wife acceptance in the design.

support welcomed from all
    thanks

Andy

ADPully, Aug 9, 2007
  2. ADPully

dean.l

I'd say you need to put everything that is going in there first and then see how it sounds, and then speak to tenson he seems to know his stuff.

although if I was building a room I would build a certain degree in, ie curved corners and the wall behind the listener I would build a stud wall filled with mineral wool.
    but don't take my advice on that :D

dean.l, Aug 9, 2007
  3. ADPully

ADPully

thanks - All walls were breeze block and bricks with insulated cavity then plasterboard on top. couldnt really change this

ADPully, Aug 9, 2007
  4. ADPully

dean.l

sorry I meant build it on top of whats there with acoustic cloth or something sound can pass through.

but this is probably not a good idea, just something I would try :)

dean.l, Aug 9, 2007
  5. ADPully

Tenson Moderator

Dean is spot on, you NEED to have the room set up as you intend to listen before considering what treatments you require. The carpet will make a big difference for starters.

Also don't just think of acoustic treatments as foam panels, you need diffusion and probably bass treatments too. I like to have absorption on the wall behind the listening position but use diffusors on the ceiling and first reflection points.

Tenson, Aug 9, 2007
Ask a Question