Affordable Valve Company

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by NOS-4-A2, Nov 2, 2003.

1. NOS-4-A2

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who has owned or used products from Affordable Valve Company .

I am going to go valve from my second system and saw their ad and web site so I phoned them. I spoke to a Mr Lim, with very forthright opinions, who described how the amps were imported from China and modified in UK to keep the price low. He kept stressing that there was no risk as they offer an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee.

I am tempted but would like to hear from owners regarding their experiences with the company and the kit.

My alternative seems to be something from Icon Audio or a second hand Unison or Audion.

NOS-4-A2, Nov 2, 2003
  2. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

wait for the worms:D

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 2, 2003
  3. NOS-4-A2

Sorry, you lost me:confused:

NOS-4-A2, Nov 2, 2003
  4. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

can opener:D

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 2, 2003
  5. NOS-4-A2

michaelab desafinado

I can't offer you any opinions on the amps themselves but his attitude over on the HiFi Choice forum would put me right off ever dealing with him.

He has a very in your face way of selling and he's a bit paranoid that everyone is out to get him and that he's a vicitm of the great solid state conspiracy :D There was a thread over on HFC where things got a bit heated, especially with one member who I think had owned a Lim valve amp and returned it or something similar. This other member happens to be suffering from cancer and when Lim lost it he posted something about wishing the guy a horrible death from his cancer :eek: - he was then banned from HFC but quickly reappeared as lim_valve2. I haven't followed HFC much since then so I don't know if he still posts as much but look for posts on HFC by lim_valve or lim_valve2 to get a flavour :)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 2, 2003
  6. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

I recall someone asked him for info on his speakers, and he was terrified of giving any, for brand confidentiality or something..thought it would damage his business.
    not nearly as much as that heated exchange where he self destructed.
    He slagged of other makes, and then went ape when someone said they would email the makers telling of the remarks. funnyt in a sad kind of way

I have had plenty exp. of valves, pm me if you want more info.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 2, 2003
  7. NOS-4-A2

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The exchange on HFC was deeply unpleasant. It is a shame in a way that it was deleted by the moderators because it should have stood as a testament to why not to deal with Lim.

He is very forthright in his opinions, and that's fine (and reminds me of one or two other people around here). What's not fine is that should your opinion be different to his, it is obviously wrong and you must be re-educated. Forcefully.

Certainly I would never deal with him.

I-S, Nov 2, 2003
  8. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

I dunno what has happened to dave whit..the recipient, he doesn't post anymore....and the forum has really gone downhill...

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 2, 2003
  9. NOS-4-A2

michaelab desafinado

Davewhit is on here - he posted a couple of weeks ago on one of the threads in the Buy/Sell forum.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 2, 2003
  10. NOS-4-A2

smileandnod

I can't comment on the Affordable Valve Company products, but I recently bought an Icon Audio Stereo 40, and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Icon Audio also offer a money back guarantee of some sort, if you buy direct from their website. I bought after a demo at my local dealership, so I already knew I wouldn't need my money back :)

Ian.

smileandnod, Nov 3, 2003
  11. NOS-4-A2

penance Arrogant Cock

:duck:

penance, Nov 3, 2003
  12. NOS-4-A2

Thanks for all the advice, has nobody anything positive to say about Lim/the company:(

NOS-4-A2, Nov 4, 2003
  13. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

are you lim in disguise?;)

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 4, 2003
  14. NOS-4-A2

johnhunt recidivist

I've read a lot of Lims posts over the last year or two. Apart from the unforgivable post about Dave his only other sins are his strange prose and his paranoid,intense and passionate web persona. This is forgivable. His reputation , as a word of mouth trader, on websites such as this and HFC could be significant to his business. Perhaps he's right to appear worried as he often manages to alienate more than he impresses. As for whether his amps are any good I don't know but my suspicion is that they are.

johnhunt, Nov 4, 2003
  15. NOS-4-A2

johnhunt recidivist

I've read a lot of Lims posts over the last year or two. Apart from the unforgivable post about Dave his only other sins are his strange prose and his paranoid,intense and passionate web persona. This is forgivable. His reputation , as a word of mouth trader, on websites such as this and HFC could be significant to his business. Perhaps he's right to appear worried as he often manages to alienate more than he impresses. As for whether his amps are any good I don't know but my suspicion is that they are.

johnhunt, Nov 4, 2003
  16. NOS-4-A2

SCIDB Moderator

Hi NOS,

The exchange on HFC site was very strange. He does have forthright opinions but the exchanges got a bit distasteful. It seemed that he thought the world was against him & valve amps. He seemed to think his amps were better than anything else.

From what I have heard of his amps, they are quite good. Being made in China has made this a cheap option for new valve amp.

I have heard his top of the range amp and it is a good amp. I just find his manner off putting.

There are plenty of 2nd hand valve amps there for cheap money. If you give some more details of how much you want to spend & equipment you would be using with it, I can give you some examples.

I'm currently playing around with a 2nd hand Audio Innovations Series 800 with a Border patrol power supply.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 4, 2003
  17. NOS-4-A2

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Tom,

I know Ive already said this, but you should get yourself to the world audio design showroom in newport pagnell.

You can listen to all of the W.A.D. amps there - and they really are impressive.

Nick Lucas will make up any W.A.D. amp for you for around £150 extra.

The component quality is that which you specify - if you want a stepped attenuator, black gate capacitors etc - then pay a little more and you can have them. This is certainly something you WONT find in a budget AVC or ICON amp - good as they are.

If I were starting over, I would pick a kit amp over and above a second hand valve amp - to avoid the likelihood of repair bills.

Check it out mate, its only a 40 minute drive from your house!

Have a look at the model below, an integrated also available as a power amp only.

http://www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk/wadproducts/kit6550.html

bottleneck, Nov 4, 2003
  18. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

The kel84 is stupendous for the cash, £275 but at 12 watts you need 90db speakers.

Also try the kit or kat34, bear in mind this and the 6550 are hardwired and fiddly to assemble+ you can knacker pcbs with soldering irons.

IMHO, the 6550 was better than lims or icons, tho to be fair, the differences are pretty minor.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 4, 2003
  19. NOS-4-A2

Well, SCIDB the amp's for a second system in my study. The room is next to my daughter's bedroom and so mega bass and extreem volume levels are out. I will also need to find some suitable smallish speakers. I already have a spare Audio Synthesis Passion Pre Amp and so I could just go for a power amp or sell the pre to help pay for the new toy. The CD player will be an Arcam Alpha 7SE and the TT is a VPI Aries Scout. £1000-1500 to play with and no great hurry - the extension won't be finished until Dec:rolleyes:

Chris, I promise I will get over to World Audio at some point soon;)

Lt Cdr Data, thanks for all the advice:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2003
    NOS-4-A2, Nov 4, 2003
  20. NOS-4-A2

condyk

I've been very happy with my Norh SE-9 which cost $399 imported door to door (within arrived 2 days of shipping!) and then £60 import duty/VAT ... probably about £300 all in. Now it's run in I love it. Very musical ... rediscovering music through it.

They have a bigger amp too which really looks very nice, though I have no idea about sound qualities.

http://www.norh.com/

Guy who runs it couldn't be more helpful and pleasant.

Dave

condyk, Nov 4, 2003
Ask a Question