Affordable Valve Company

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Cloth-Ears, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

I was going to start a thread about this strange outfit after I had done a bit more research and consultation, but I've just been on E-Bay and I'm itching to say these things quite apart from what else I had to say. Its bizarre. I wanted to see the latest thing he's got showing on Ebay so I typed in as a search in Consumer Electronics the words affordable and valve. This came up in a window: Kaspersy Anti Virus warning: http:/............./affordable_valve..... contains malicious code Email.Worms.VBS.COMponent. Execution of this script was automatically blocked. ............. Well, W.T.F ??? You tell me. I signed out, cleared all cache, cookies etc, went back to E-Bay and searched again for , individually, the words affordable then valve. Not much came up (you used to search that and get loads of listings for all his amps ) and Lim's listings were actually beneath the main results, as Ebay shops. It seems he's focusing on 300B's on E-bay now. But guess what else I saw? LOL, the Audio Institute amps, yes those "similar " or "grey import" or "unmodified" amps that he said he would have nothing to do with if you came to him with one !!!! I also saw some rant about cheques from Nigeria or Indonesia. Looks like some scammers had been trying it on with him, having spotted an Idiot !! LOL

Cloth-Ears, Jul 1, 2005
  2. Cloth-Ears

Lt Cdr Data om

hmm others will say more I am sure.

he's a strange guy, the amps are from china, VAC, valve amplification company, imported and rebranded.

They tell me they aren't making valve amps anymore, so goodness knows what will happen to lim after the stock dries up, should be interesting.

I have gone off him really, nothing to do with an episode I heard on hifichoice forum, but the lack of responses and strange attitudes to my questions.

I had a2nd hand avc, and he supplied me with a few bits, which he didn't have to, but pro audio companies wouldn't care, they would support their items.

some funny strange people in hifi think, this guy hasn't bought from us, therefore we won't have anything to do with him, its unprofessinonal totally. could you see ford not supplying a part cos you didn't buy a new car?

naim can be like that, afaik they won't supply parts, just get the servicing done via a dealer.

anyway, lim sold me bits at a good price, did take months to arrive tho.

but he wasn't very good when I wanted to buy one of the german amps for £270, I asked what the differences were between versions about 2 or 3 times, so no excuses of emails not getting thro'

no response, after weeks, repeat emails, so went to germany to buy one there, he lost my business I am afraid to say.

I think he must've thought I was trying it on, he can be a bit paranoid and thinks everyone is out to wreck his business.

I asked about speakers, drive units, wouldn't tell the manufactures of them :rolleyes: as if it will ruin him saying...atc use atc drive units, avi use scanspeak and vifa, they say proudly....helpfully...

and then I find that saying to him I preferred the el34 version to kt88, I see he is reproducing my email without permission saying I must have some amp as he has no record of selling me one, when i said I got it secondhand :rolleyes: durrrrr....
    and then saying, our kt88 is our best amp, many customer have said they like it, massive bass, and all that, and if you don't think its as good, its you, not us. It is not as good as the el34 version to my ears, and I have lots of valve xp, hell I can design my own valve amp and transformers, and very good ears.

its as tho....'I am right anyone who disagrees is wrong, just read the website with that in mind, its a right agressive unpleasant read, as tho I am the expert, why you should believe me, all that....

I have little against the guy, but its not the way to win and keep customers, just some pleasant service and information and professionalism would do the trick......

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 1, 2005
  3. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

And I actually like the KT88 amp; its fantastic, the nicest I've ever heard. My e-mails to him have been about buying his speakers and pledging not to bypass him for servicing, yet I got the brush off. That was what my thread about Lim was going to be about before I got in this one about the equally bizarre things on E-bay. So this post will do for the general AVC/Lim thing. What Lim manages to produce for the money is really amazing I must say. I mean £1400 for, KT88 Triode with transformers that substantial, a case that nice and those expensive Svetlanas, is amazing. What price if it were American or British ? What's my sin? Getting a second hand one ! Be aware, its not just second hand purchasers who are affected, its new buyers too. They effectively have an amp that is for keeps or the bucket. They cannot sell it with a clear conscience if they know the score. Unless, of course, they acquire the secrets of which valves source and the bias settings etc. I am now in that postion of having just bought one, found out to my utter surprise and disgust that its a ticking bomb to uselessness, and I need to winkle out by other means the info to maintain this great amp. As I've said elsewhere, this amp is now for sale but I'm honest enough to state that you will need to have an independent ability to keep it going. A bargain it is, if you can do so. I wonder if my seller did not know, as it was actually he who mentioned this forum I joined, the forum with all those earlier posts about Mr. Lim !! I can only wonder. The stupidest thing is this: I was not one hundred percent set on my Exposure route to retirement hifi. I had considered running two separate systems, including speakers. AV system, subject to constant change. Valve based music system as "retirement hifi" using his expensive speakers, his services, his new amp at some time, his valve DAC perhaps if he got round to finishing it. Silly, silly man he is. I've tried e-mailing repeatedly and phoning but I can't get him . As you say, he seems to think everyone is out to get him. Here's me, trying to reach out to do business with him and he ends up pissing me off and rendering my valve amp useless in time if I don't get the info myself. Now he has made an enemy. He has no right to advertise in any magazine or trade on Ebay. He is irresponsible. Simple as that. We should not take that quietly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2005
    Cloth-Ears, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Cloth-Ears

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Cloth-Ears,

If you would like to know of a valve technician near you who can bias the amp for you or make any modifications you might like put a post up on here.

I know of a few myself, and there are other members on the forum who can tell you about others if you don't live anywhere near the ones that I could reccomend.

If you just want to know the bias settings maybe an email to VAC could tell you?

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Thanks Bottleneck, I think I might have that base covered already. I wonder if VAC would really know because Lim does mod the amps and put in Svetlanas rather than Chinese valves. I also think the little valves are differnet , maybe in number also, like he says TAC versions have 3 and his 4. As I've been informed, bias settiing is a judgement and a tradeoff, within certain bounds. To err on the side of caution with the settings will still allow the conservative stated 20 watts per channel to be established again, it would seem from what I have read. If I make an standing arrangement to re-valve, one that can be passed on to a buyer, then I have a much more saleable amplifier, for I will only sell this with proper disclosure. The valves are fine at the moment by the way. The amp sounds lovely. I may even keep it on top of my Exposure "retirement hifi", but then again where would I put the speakers ?..........

Cloth-Ears, Jul 2, 2005
  6. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Lim's approach to servicing is that you should only go to him. He knows the valve specs, he modded the amp, he must do it. I was and still am totally fine with that. I even would be prepared to pay a premium as I did not buy new. When he makes these stipulations its rather unfair and shafty to basically tell people he's not interested, "go back to dealer you bought from" kind of response. (I actually bought from an individual !) You know, I contacted him about buying his speakers, only mentioning servicing as an afterthought when I commented how amusing it was to hear of people trying to do it themselves. Odd. This reminds me of something equally bizarre from a few years back. The Taliban in Afganistan decreed that all doctors must be men. It also decreed that women could not be treated by male doctors ! Du-oh !!!!

Cloth-Ears, Jul 2, 2005
  7. Cloth-Ears

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm just thinking guys Lim has no right of reply, can we stick to facts and not opinions please.
    Thanks

lordsummit, Jul 2, 2005
  8. Cloth-Ears

Lt Cdr Data om

why don't we invite him to reply? it is after all pretty much free for all....to be fair, I think most stuff here is fact and not opinion.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 2, 2005
  9. Cloth-Ears

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

after reading his website, I'm shocked that
    a) anyone with any sense would buy from him after reading his public vitrolic diatribe.
    b) trading standards haven't got wind of him and investigated.

to paraphrase:
    "1. you must buy replacement valves from us

2. we will publicy accuse anonymous callers of tampering without any evidence and use private emails on our website without permission at our discression.

3. if we think you've tampered with it or bought it second hand we will not sell you replacement valves, or repair it."

No.1 has got a number of inkjet companies into a lot of problems with a similar bullying tactic involving refills and cheaper replacements.

No2 & No3 could be invoked at will if anything goes wrong, leaving you out of pocket.

I certainly wouldn't ever buy from a company with that sales pitch. I'd be too worried that I'd be accused of tampering and lose my money.

I'd also be interested to hear a lawyer's opinion on whether some of the practices are legally questionable.

kennyk, Jul 2, 2005
  10. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Lord Summit, I'm a bit surprised. It is a fact that I have contacted him in a favourable sense, i.e. showing interest in his speakers, agreeing with him to only use him for servicing. It is a fact that he gave me a rude reply in no uncertain terms telling me to go elsewhere. It is a fact that I e-mailed back to clarify any misunderstanding. I have made further e-mails which have been ignored. Others have had similar experience with misinterpretations and silence. And no his English is not poor as I have had several phone conversations with him last year when I was considering buying one. Nowadays he never answers the phone or his mailbox is full. Yet he gave me that rude e-mail quick enough. He makes it difficult to get the amp serviced by keeping his cards close to his chest ( which in itself I don't mind )yet he is giving the brush-off when we try to cooperate with him. On the matter of opinions, I have in actually stated that I really like his amp ! It is my and others opinions that he is rude and somewhat odd. I don't think thats too harsh an opinion given what has actually taken place. Lim has every right of reply when I attempt to communicate with him. He's also free to join this forum. Why don't you invite him too ? This thread has been mainly a description of fact, not opinion. The fact is I have bought an amplifier that he has made clear cannot be serviced in the normal way. Therefore it is as good as the life of the valves unless I can find a competent technician to understand what Lim does to service and revalve it. Logically that affects all new purchasers too. That's not really an opinion either. The owner from new is the only one going to get service, by implication of Lim's own words. I had nothing but admiration for Lim until the point where he so unexpectedly brushed me off when I contacted him.

Cloth-Ears, Jul 2, 2005
  11. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Kenny K : He doesnt actually say on his website that he won't have anything to do with second hand owners. ( He talks about grey imports i.e. unmodded chinese source amps, similar ones like TAC Vincent, or his ones modded by users ). Nor does he have any legal obligation to me to anything for me. He owes me nothing. He's just stupid to act like this because I could have gone his valve route totally and been a long term customer, beginning with speakers now and servicing in a couple of years. He's also rude. Its questionable with attitudes like this whether the magazines and Ebay should allow him any time. But I doubt if the authorities could do anything. As for big mouthed claims, well he can give his opinion, and he backs it up with testimonials from satisfied owners. I've no reason to doubt them . As for using things like E-mails without permission e.g. in Lt.Cdr.Data's case, well that may contravene something minor but I don't think anyone is going to pursue that really. I feel that if he is going to behave in this way he ought to be more explicit on his web site so at least potential second hand buyers have an opportunity to see it in black and white when they research the amp for sale. Also for new purchasers to see so they know they are buying an effectively unsalable amp.

Cloth-Ears, Jul 2, 2005
  12. Cloth-Ears

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Sorry guys, I'm closing the thread.

Lim has no right of reply here and so it's a bit unfair on him to discuss things. I let a previous thread on the subject remain open, but I think the discussion has been done. I will not allow Lim on this forum due to the delightful attitude he showed elsewhere and his argumentative, disruptive style. He was banned from a place he pays to advertise, so that might say something.

I-S, Jul 2, 2005
Ask a Question