Ah! Njoe Tjoeb fully upgraded

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anubisgrau, Apr 22, 2006.

1. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with 4000 Reference version of A!NT CD player, the one that comes with 24/192 upsampler and all the little tweaks. I'm actually curious how would it compete with some of the Far East best buys such as E-sound CDP, Cayin 17 or even CEC 51XR, as it could be found s/h for 400-500 quid.
    I have a kind of a problem in my system being hyperanalitical and detail on account of musicality and life - ATC 20 active with Krell 250p pre connected with Kimber PBJ. Before I upgrade to a tube preamp, I need to sort the source and I need something fullbodied and lively enough.

anubisgrau, Apr 22, 2006
  2. anubisgrau

Dexter

I've had one for going on 2 1/2 years now:

[​IMG]

In my listening sessions, I can happily alternate between formats without ever feeling anything's lacking when playing CDs on the Tjoeb as opposed to vinyl on my Xerxes. It's all only distinguishable as music, effortlessly delivered with surperb insight, liquid analogue flavour, and precise rhythmic timing.

There's absolutely no cachet to be had whatsoever in owning one; from all outward appearances, it's still the bog-standard Marantz CD4000 it's been fashioned from. But, from my standpoint, that's part of its charm, it's what's under the hood that counts.

While I haven't had any direct experience with the other CD players on your list, the Tjoeb has fended off challenges from the Rega Jupiter, Naim CD5i, as well as the new Rega Apollo in home demos FWIW.

Cheers, Dex

Dexter, Apr 25, 2006
Ask a Question