Aldo Ciccolini's Nocturnes

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Dear Coda II

You could do far worse things than aquiring Gilberts WTC, which is well worth its money. The harpsichord is a late french baroque period instrument, very sonorous in character, and Gilbert makes
    it sing wonderfully. His approach is very informed and stylish with
    delicate touch and well judged tempi. I think occationally
    his touch is too much legato, but these are probably minor things for you. If I were to aquire only one interpretation of the WTC, I would choose Leonhardts because of his unparalleled concentrated expressivity, but my second choise would be Gilbert, and if I were to have more recordings (which is preferable) Gilbert would be unavoidable. My next choices would be Wilson (Teldec) and Dantone (Arts) and Walcha (EMI 1960-61).
    Venlig hilsen

pe-zulu, Nov 30, 2004
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

joel Shaman of Signals

In English (Anglo-saxon for the pedantic :rolleyes: ) this is a "rood screen". These were done away with in the reformation, but probably date from the very earliest days of the Church.
    Rood screens in medieval churches would have been densely covered with intense polychromatic imagery and carvings of events such as Christ's passion etc (rood I believe means Cross).

joel, Dec 1, 2004
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

Tom Alves

and led to such wonders as the organ mass. Well you knew that the priest was doing something so might as well just play some nice music while it was happening. You didn't need the choir to sing along, did you.

I once saw the Allegri Missere performed very beautifully with the choir hidden behind the rude screen. Very effective because it allowed the three groups to seperate out. Stunning.

Tom Alves, Dec 1, 2004
Ask a Question