Amps and overheating?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jun 20, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

The last couple of days here in Lisbon have been absolutely swelteringly hot - my indoor thermometer is reading 32C at the moment :eek: Outside it's well over 40!

I normally leave my amp on all the time but last night as I had some music on I went over to adjust the volume and even the volume knob was hot! The front panel was almost too hot to touch, as was most of the rest of the casing. It didn't seem to be complaining though.

It normally gets quite hot near the heatsinks but it's now hotter than its ever been and even when it's just idling seems to be pretty hot. I'm assuming it's just that the ambient temp. is so high that it can't cool down properly. Is it likely to cause any problems? Amp is Arcam FMJ A22 btw.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 20, 2003
  2. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I thought ti would have shut down if it was too hot, so you should be OK.

However, a small electric fan blowing over it might help?

32 degrees - that's waaaaay too hot for me. I shut down at anything over 20! And my mate keeps suggesting I go to Thailand (not a bad idea actually but...)

domfjbrown, Jun 20, 2003
  3. michaelab

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Yes, it's horribly hot. Let's hope it gets cooler soon.

I'd turn it off. My house is rather cool, but I turn the amp off nevertheless when it beggins to get warmer than usual.

OT - My current indoor temp is 25º - that's quite hot for me. I'll be giving a four hour class in a west turned classroom *without* air conditioned...

When I think people actually pay to spend time under such heat it makes my head turn...

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 20, 2003
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

We don't have air con in our flat...:( But since I have to work here a lot with computers on etc. I'm seriously thinking of getting a portable air con unit for my little office here...

It's definitely way too hot to be on the sun-bathing on the beach allthough being in the water must be nice and refreshing :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 20, 2003
  5. michaelab

voodoo OdD

Michael, my gear is suffering a similar fate with similar temps. at the moment.

I measured by pre-amp @ 46 degrees on Sunday. It was 35 outside and my gear is not in direct sunlight :eek: (in fact the whole living room isn't a t this time of year).

I'll be dumping most of my kit in a few months for a TACT setup and hopefully that should remove the 'additional radiator' I have at the moment :rolleyes: !

voodoo, Jun 20, 2003
  6. michaelab

voodoo OdD

:mad: The joys of living in a land-locked country :( !

voodoo, Jun 20, 2003
  7. michaelab

cookiemonster

My amp has been very hot, with the recent warm weather, as it obviously fluctuates with the ambient temperature, as it is not as easy to dissipate the heat with less of a temperature gradient.

I've had no problems with it though - i considered turning it off, but prefer to leave it running all the time.

I've looked around for a fan or something, but it's trying to find something which runs quiet? This is more for me though, than the amp, as it can get very uncomfortable sometimes, even with the windows open, which doesn't seem to achieve anything.

cookiemonster, Jun 20, 2003
  8. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I've turned it off for the time being. Hot climate - another reason to be getting a BelCanto :D Maybe towards the end of the year...

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 20, 2003
  9. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tone is lucky on 2 counts, one I live in the UK, where it very rarely goes over 22C :D and I have a amp that's runs damn cool, even at warp 9. Lucky I guess

wadia-miester, Jun 20, 2003
  10. michaelab

voodoo OdD

Tone, you call THAT luck :D !
    It's one of the reasons I left ;) .
    That and the Euro of course :p .

voodoo, Jun 20, 2003
  11. michaelab

lordsummit moderate mod

Think of the poor people of Manchester, it's about 7 years since it stopped raining, and it was 5 years before that that the sun was last sighted due to industrial pollution. My next door neighbour has had to fit his pigeons with GPS, and you all wonder why we all wear flat caps. I'd kill for 24 degrees:p

lordsummit, Jun 20, 2003
  12. michaelab

lowrider Live music is surround

I managed to hold on for 2 hours on the beach today, then rushed to a nice brasilian restaurant overlooking the beach, air conditioned... :p

Now I am back home, luckily it doesn't get too warm, I have windows north and south, works better than air conditioning... :MILD:

My Brystons are just warm, as usual... :D

lowrider, Jun 20, 2003
  13. michaelab

Robbo

my amps get very hot as well and I am paranoid about them. however, they have temperature sensitive fans that blow onto the heatsink if the going gets tough.

Strange, whenever Tony comes over they always get put into action:)

Robbo

Robbo, Jun 20, 2003
  14. michaelab

lowrider Live music is surround

They are trying to blow him away, can't stand the critics... :p

lowrider, Jun 20, 2003
  15. michaelab

HenryT

Came home the other day and the living/listening room was at 28C according to the old mercury, that's before I openend all the windows to give the place a good air out - this room is a bit of green house what with all the big windows everywhere! :eek: Still, the temperatures we've had so far this summer in the UK are hardly record breaking. The last 2 summers have been a fair bit warmer and my kit has managed to survive being locked up and powered up in an un-ventilated room during the days of those prior summer months.

I've not heard of much domestic audio kit which has any kind of automatic protection circuitry on-board which shuts down the component in order to protect itself from overheating. The Yamaha DSP-A1 a/v amp I have has an internal fan, but I've never seen this operating.

The dCS DAC/upsampler boxes have internal temperature sensors, their readings can be viewed via the front panel readout display if you cycle through the respective unit's menu options - presumably these units do feature auto shut down if a critical temperature is reached but I've never personally experienced such a scenario.

IME, Arcam amps would seem to offer little or no protection circuitry at all, maybe this isn't the case with the more recent A or FMJ series, but a friend who has an Alpha 8/9 bi-amp rig had a bit of an unfortunately incident a little while back when his 3 year daughter accidentally knocked over one his KEF Q35 floorstands. The amp was switched on at the time, the pair of +/- banana plugs popped out of the back of the speakers and touched metal against metal causing a short circuit. The amp went bang and had to be sent back to Arcam for repair. :rolleyes:

HenryT, Jun 20, 2003
  16. michaelab

HenryT

LOL! :D Self preserving amps then, in more ways then one!

HenryT, Jun 20, 2003
  17. michaelab

GrahamN

I guess that's something I'm just going to get used to :D

GrahamN, Jun 20, 2003
  18. michaelab

Robbo

:D

He really likes them actually:MILD:

Robbo, Jun 20, 2003
  19. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I my old Marantz PM4000 used to get really hot in the summer, my PM6010OSE seems much better though, on taking the lids of both, the reason is the PM4000 has just one heatsink with both channel transisters sharing it, the PM6010OSE has two heatsinks one per chanel, even though it does also have an extra transistor per channel. Also the PM6010OSE has an all metal body, the PM4000 is made purely out of pastic, so I am guessing the metal body also acts as a heatsink.

amazingtrade, Jun 20, 2003
  20. michaelab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

pah, u lot with solid state amps! aint even discovered hot yet!!

grab my EL34's in full swing, and get a new definition of hot as the skin burns off your fingers!!!! :D :cool: :D

Literally as hot as the inside of an oven, a valve in full burn.

aaah I love the smell of burning valves first thing in the morning.

you know, there should be a market in making table lamps with valves, the glow they give is too cool just for music making.

PS
    Dont say nasty things about my valves on this new forum now!! my liquor is making me cheeky!

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 20, 2003
Ask a Question