AMPS - DPA Renaissance/Aura VA100 mk2?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Jan 22, 2006.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm putting together a system for my brother. So far I've an Alpha7 cd and B&W 601 speakers.

For amps I'm looking at a few Nads, denons, arcams, and rotels.

I've also spotted a DPA Renaissance Class A int' amp. However, I can't find any info on it.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about it, i'd appreciate it.

I've also been offered a Aura VA100 mk2. Anyone know anything about this?

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  2. MO!

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

MO

IIRC, both of these are good amps, with the DPA possibly shading it. However if they go wrong you could be in real trouble as neither company exist. I know there is a guy who can service Aura (he advertises on eBay)

Mind you I suppose you run this risk with all 2nd hand goods.

LiloLee, Jan 22, 2006
  3. MO!

joel Shaman of Signals

joel, Jan 22, 2006
  4. MO!

hifikrazy

DPA is a nice amp (was keeping an eye on it myself actually ;)) Not sure about their reliability though, some of their other products seem to perhaps have more than their fair share.

Aura stuff is good my mate had the VA80sex (great name if you ask me) which was a very nice sounding piece of kit. Most Aura gear still fetches decent prices though.

hifikrazy, Jan 22, 2006
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The DPA seller has made a point of it's lack of power and grunt.
    I can't find any info on it's output though. Any ideas on spec's?

I've put in a bid on an alpha 7r. There's 25 min's or so left so I'll see if I get that. If not, then I'll see how the DPA goes. It's currently on £72 (£15p+p).

The aura was offered for £100.

Oh decisions....

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Another thing, the comments I have heard seem to point to it being a very polite and laid back sound. Maybe paired with the Alpha7 cd and 601 speakers, it would be too sleep enducing?

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  7. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

oops, just noticed it says 33watts on the auction title :oops:

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  8. MO!

felix part-time Horta

The DPA renaissance integrated is about 50W/4ohm, and grunty with it. DPA gear is about refinement, finesse and speed, so if the current owner was expecting 'big' bass he's looking in the wrong place. The Aura is likely to sound warmer, but I'd take the DPA.

The Renaissance is basically a class AB integrated where a degree of 'class A' bias is backed up with a pair of output devices which acts very like Quad's current-dumping design (and with less waste heat than a pure class A design). Originally sold around the £600 mark.

I run DPA50S pre/power combo and its utterly superb. Yes, DPA is no longer around, but things that went wrong usually happened soon after purchase, and came to down to teething problems with the SMT processes (DPA was a company of 5people most of the time!). Chevin Audio has quite a lot of experience with DPA gear if you have any problems, and actually fixing one if you blow it up isn't difficult at all - I me got a second DPA50s power amp cheap this way ;)

Edit: ropey scan from DPA's 1997 catalogue here:
    http://www.acoustica.org.uk/misc/renaissance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006
    felix, Jan 22, 2006
  9. MO!

joel Shaman of Signals

I think DPA would be significantly better than the Arcam. The Aura would be a bit meatier sounding than the DPA I think.. DPA or Aura would also be much nicer things to own than an Arcam :)

joel, Jan 22, 2006
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well the Alpha7r is local so I put in a half hearted bid before having to go out and collect the speakers. Didn't expect to win it (only £2 MOre than the previous bidder), but I did.

Maybe the wrong MOve, but having a reMOte is a big plus.

I didn't want to risk the DPA going shooting up in the last half hour (as have just about every other amp I'd been watching), and missing out on a local amp which I can collect.

Ah well. Should still be a nice little set up for the money.

Budget of £250.

alpha7 cd, alpha7r amp, and 601 speakers for £251!

£1 over budget.

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  12. MO!

Paul Dimaline

Im keeping an eye on the DPA aswell!! Dont "need" it, just fancy a change to be honest.

Paul.

Paul Dimaline, Jan 22, 2006
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

If I had the spare cash I'd have liked to have bought all three (this, the alpha7r, and the Aura) to have a play.

The Aura was being sold over on PFM in reply to my WTD thread if anyone's interested. Should do the job for someone!

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  14. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

DPA went for £130. Someone off here?

Was over my budget so don't feel so bad now :)

MO!, Jan 22, 2006
  15. MO!

Paul Dimaline

Not me. Doubt I will lose any sleep tonight!

Paul Dimaline, Jan 22, 2006
  16. MO!

Neil

Mmm - I sold my Renaissance on ebay last year for £75 (BIN was £95 I think...) :rolleyes:

It was a great amp, the phono stage in particular was nice for a budget amp. I'm a great fan of DPA kit and always felt sad about the sorry way the company ended - I've only heard one side of the story (not Mr Watts) so I guess I can't make any judgements there. My 50S combo is probably the one piece of kit I really regret selling. As for reliability and bits: (as far as I'm aware, more "in the know" folks here should correct me if I'm wrong!) - the older stuff -including PDM 1 series DACS - is pretty reliable but there are supply problems with some bits for the series 2. The 24 bit E-transport has unobtainable bits and there are few (programmed) FPGA chips around for the later DACs. Some of these also had power supply problems which caused failure (particularly if they were left powered up 24/7) but Chevin Audio do a fix to upgrade them as well as servicing and repairs. Tom Whelan, the service engineer also used to help out. Anyway, I still have a 200S phono stage and a rather nice (but "low end"!!) little bit 3 .....
    Neil

Neil, Jan 22, 2006
Ask a Question