Amps for 4ohm speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 4WD, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 4WD

4WD

How many home amps are happy to drive 4 ohm (per channel) stereo speakers? Would a bryston B60, primare, sudgen or anything normal like this be happy longterm driving 4 ohm speakers?

Will the current / clipping / heat or anything else be an issue?

Also, any amps that will be fine on 3 or 4ohm mono loads for subs? Maybe Crown etc?

Thanks...

4WD, Mar 30, 2007
  2. 4WD

Garmt

Most modern amplifiers have no problem whatsoever driving a 4 Ohm load. If a 4 Ohm rating is given, you can safely assume it can drive that load.

The best subwoofer amps I have found (class AB) are Bryston mono-blocks and Crown K1/K2 (both which can be easily found 2nd hand), but class D has very good properties in the bass as well. So try a UcD or IcePower based design, or perhaps a Lyngdorf SDA 2175.

Garmt, Apr 2, 2007
  3. 4WD

shrink

i personally support the cyrus monoblocks... the monoX's are superb amps by any rights and will drive into 4ohms all day long, and with quite some amazing drive and impact.

belcanto ref1000's although harder to get are also superb ICE based amps that deliver huge doses of power into any load.

shrink, Apr 3, 2007
  4. 4WD

Tenson Moderator

I second getting some digital amps for bass duties, the LC Audio ZapPulse 2.3SE I have is rather impressive in this area, among others.

The Hypex UCD are probably just as good too and can be bought in the form of the CI Audio monoblocks for a sensible price.

http://www.ciaudio.com/

BTW, none of these are bad as full range amps either, very good in fact.

Tenson, Apr 3, 2007
  5. 4WD

amir

if rms power for 8ohm is X watt it should give over 1.3X to 4ohm.
    many amp do it but in budget i recommend creek & MF. for higher price Jeff rowland

amir, Apr 3, 2007
  6. 4WD

4WD

Interesting. The guys I know who are into rather serious sound quality competitions for cars swear the control of analogue amps is much better than digital on sub bass duties, or top end for that matter.

4WD, Apr 3, 2007
  7. 4WD

Tenson Moderator

I doubt they are if you are looking in the same price bracket as most digital amps. Maybe they are if you are willing to spend a lot more.

Tenson, Apr 3, 2007
  8. 4WD

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

yeah, a digi studio amp for bass duties, and a nice sounding amp for the mids/tweets.

bottleneck, Apr 3, 2007
  9. 4WD

4WD

Your right about the price actually, fair point.

4WD, Apr 4, 2007
Ask a Question