An AV post! rear and center speaker choices.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by angi73, Dec 6, 2003.

1. angi73

angi73

I have decided to put together a very basic setup for my parents/me. They have a widescreen wega sony tv and a budget sony DVD player.

I allready have a pair of Acoustic energy AE 109's that should do nicely for main speakers and i will hopefully pair them with a YAMAHA DSP-A595a see here receiver which i have been offered for a very reasonable price.

Any ideas for a cheap but reasonable center speaker that would match the AE 109's. Maybe i should try to get the matching one from ebay or the aegis center.

Might plug a power amp through the receiver to get better power to the main front speakers. I could also use my MJA PRO 50 sub from time to timw when im at home.

also, any ideas for good Q rears with high WAF?

I don't want to spend much, just want to try my hand at this av stuff and enjoy some good films at christmas.

Is secondhand the way to go?

any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

angi73, Dec 6, 2003
  2. angi73

julian2002 Muper Soderator

if you';re not going to go for multi channel music then a pair of dipole rears is a must for decent surround. richers do a pair of missions (77ds ?) for not a lot and these are damn good. as for a center see if you can match as close as possible to the main fronts. if you can find a 2nd hand center from the same range as your mains then do that otherwise look at models from the range below or from a previous incarnation of your current speakers range. the front 3 are the most important to match, the rears less so but obviously if you can then do so.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 6, 2003
  3. angi73

Matt F

Without wishing to sound pedantic - okay, I'm going to - the Mission DS's are all bipoles not dipoles (the DS is misleading - it actually stands for "diffuse surround" I believe).

However, the Missions (7DS, 77DS, 70DS whatever) are pretty good bipoles. Having said that, so are the Eltax HT2-BP bipoles - right up there with the Missions - they used to cost £150 (and got rave reviews) - last time I checked, Richers were doing them for something silly like £40! Don't be put off by the name or the price - the HT2's are damned good.

Re the centre - get as good a match as you can - maybe look at the what AE have to offer - they may not have anything to match the 109's exactly but this is arguably the best place to start.

Matt.

Matt F, Dec 7, 2003
  4. angi73

Rory satisfied

not really a recommedation as such, but I had a Yamaha DSPA595a amp and it sounded brilliant for movies. Bit flat sounding for music, using it as a preamp but more than ok.

Mission bipoles are fine- the new ones are called the m3ds btw; the only AE rears are the little 100s, and they're not bi/dipole designs. the Aegis centre has got good voicing though. it was £120 new, so don't pay more than £75 now.

Rory, Dec 7, 2003
  5. angi73

angi73

well, as it turns out i got the Yamaha RX-V795aRDS receiver. Not a bad unit it seems. I payed £160 for it, and it was £600 new 2-3 years ago with very favorable reviews. Its got all that i need anyway! Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it looks promising. Should have more than enough power to drive my AE 109's

My parents agreed to chip in a little with the other speakers. I think it might be a good idea to go for The AEGIS center and some dipole/bipole surrounds. Mourderant shourt do some pretty reasonable ones, failing that the eltaxes from richers.

Ill hook Mja pro 50 up too. Can't wait to start watching films!

angi73, Dec 13, 2003
Ask a Question