Analog mixer with active speakers - is this ok?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by A.B87, Nov 11, 2022.

1. A.B87

A.B87

I've become a bit confused as to whether I can use my active speakers with an analog mixer. I recently bought a Vestax PCV-275. So will this mixer have a built in amp and therefore be too much if used with active speakers?

I thought all mixers had a pre-amp function on the phono so would this mean they can never be used with active speakers if on the phono? I am really confused about all of this now.

So to clarify my questions:
    1. Is there a difference between analog and non analog mixers in terms of having a built in amp?
    2. If the mixer does have a built in amp, then does this mean I can only use it with passive speakers?
    3. Also, if it does have a built in amp, is there something you can switch to bypass this amp if you don't need to use it?
    4. Is the pre-amp on the phono output the same as a normal built in amp?

Sorry I am just totally confused by all this, don't mean to sound like such a novice.

Another question related to my new mixer is the sub channel. What does this do? I've only ever had 2 channel mixers in the past but this Vestax has a 3rd sub channel, can this be used in the normal way as the other two?

Any feedback at all would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

A.B87, Nov 11, 2022
  2. A.B87

Sergeauckland

According to the manual, the PCV-275 does NOT have built-in power amplifiers, it is purely a mixer, so can definitely be used with active 'speakers.

Even if it had internal power amplifier, pretty much all such mixers also have a line output that can be used for active 'speakers, as well as or instead of using the internal amps.

There is no difference between analogue mixers or digital mixers as far as inputs and outputs are concerned. They all pretty much have analogue ins and outs as well as, in the case of the digital mixer, digital ins and outs.

I don't understand what you mean by the pre-amp on the phono output.I don't see any phono outputs, only inputs . The phono inputs take the signal from your turntables and amplify it to line level then output it to external amplifiers.

The sub channel looks to me like another input, but that's not available to the crossfader, so you can't crossfade from/to it, just fade it up or down.

The user manual is available on line, and although not hugely informative, should give you the information you need.

S.

Sergeauckland, Nov 12, 2022
  3. A.B87

A.B87

Thank you for this, it's very helpful.

A.B87, Dec 10, 2022
Ask a Question