Another boring interconnect question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Aug 11, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi all,

I recently got offered some high end cans for an irresistable price, and I love them, but I want to tune the sound I am so its *slightly* different to what I am hearing now, but I am not expecting a total transformation (thats not what I/C's are for, right?)

Anyway, I am currently using the TNT X1.5 cable between DAC and Amplifier, and it seems pretty ok generally in comparison to the cables I've heard before. I am also using a VDH The Bay C5 between Amplifier and headphone amplifier. I am guessing by reading reviews, and what I have heard for myself, that this is a nicely detailed, but somewhat bass light cable. The Corda is quite a bright, lean amp, as is the Rotel, so I am figuring that perhaps a small smidge less brightness, and a wee bit more bass would be nice, and would perfect my system overall.

Now, I am currently using the Eupen powercable on the Corda, which certainly helps give it a bit more bass welly, and although I am currently using a Yello power cord on the DAC, I do intend to get a Blackcurrent cable, which impressed me when I heard it on the DAC, again giving some more bottom end.

I *suspect* that the interconnects are quite lean and detailed, and I would not like to lose any detail, but I would like it to sound like it has more body. Is this possible using interconnects? One interconnect that comes to mind is the VDH D102 with eichmann bullets from Hificables, is this one any good?

Does anyone have any suggestions at what might help me out here?

Cheers

PBirkett, Aug 11, 2003
  2. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

Hello :SCIDB: ;)
    As you're going to get a Blackcurrent anyway, get it, see if it changes it more to your liking- if it doesn't get a different i/c (the VDH102mk3 is a nice cable- i like mine although it doesn't have bullets) and if the Blackcurrent changes it more to your liking, well you've saved buying more i/cs....

Rory, Aug 11, 2003
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Ror :D

I am hopefully gonna order the blackcurrent cable today, so hopefully I wont be waiting too long. Speaking of power cables, do you think they make any difference to transports as well? I've had the Yello cable on the DVD player, but I cant say I noticed any difference (I didnt notice any difference with them on anything else either though),

Any more opinions? :D

:MILD:

PBirkett, Aug 12, 2003
  4. PBirkett

batfink

I remember, not too long ago, someone saying they wouldn't be doing any more upgrading for a while. Once bitten.....:JPS:

batfink, Aug 12, 2003
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I wouldnt have, if my mother hadnt insisted I got headphones, thats a whole new area of hifi to waste money on... I am perfectly happy with my speaker setup :D

I recognise your system BTW, but you were called something else at the other place ;)

PBirkett, Aug 12, 2003
  6. PBirkett

Donut

Paul, you could try some QED Silver Spirals - I've not heard them myself but have read a few "personal" reviews that seems to indicate that they may be what you are looking for in that they are on the bass heavy side. There was a secondhand pair on one of the classified boards (here or Hi-Fi Choice).
    Donut

Donut, Aug 12, 2003
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Donut,

I knew about those, and even enquired about them, but I think he sold them, and the results seem inconsistent from system to system... :rolleyes:

Cheers

PBirkett, Aug 12, 2003
  8. PBirkett

Donut

Paul, this seems to be the case with nearly everything hi-fi:rolleyes:as we hear/read soooooooo often on these boards - trying kit in your own system is essential.

Donut

Donut, Aug 12, 2003
  9. PBirkett

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I know the feeling well, as soon as my parents go out my headphones get pulled out of my amp, and my volume pot gets set to 10:00. And if I really want to annoy the neighbours its blue monday playing on my TT. It sounds like I am in the Hacienda. (probably)

My dad though is allowed to have his 30WPC Marantz PM4000 on full blast so it sounds really loud in a double through room, I am amazed he hasn't blown it up!

amazingtrade, Aug 12, 2003
  10. PBirkett

lowrider Live music is surround

In my system PCs made the largest difference on the DVD player, used as CD transport, then the processor, with DACs, of course, none on my Bryston powers...

I use VDH Mainsstream...

lowrider, Aug 12, 2003
  11. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Lowrider, what you say about power cables is almost the opposite to what I thought, I dunno why but I expected it to make the LEAST difference on the transport...

I always thought it were like this:-

DAC -> Amp -> Transport

I think I need to have a play around when I receive my new cable.

AT, yep my speakers get a good thrashing when my folks go out, or when they decide to try and fry their surround sound system by playing it so loud it clips. :rolleyes:

PBirkett, Aug 12, 2003
  12. PBirkett

lowrider Live music is surround

I think the most common experience is:

Transport - DAC - Pre - Power

Anyway Bryston kit is known to be less sensitive to power supply than most other brands...

lowrider, Aug 12, 2003
  13. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

seconded, although i just Blackcurrented the whole lot, piece after piece and the music sounded so much better after each cable.

The best mains upgrade was replacing my old standard Masterplug 6 way mains block lead with a Blackcurrent, so everything that plugged into the mains block improved

The Black Rhodium Supermains block is in another class admittedly, but for £50 and the price of a mains extension lead (£5 from Argos) its a really cost effective upgrade imho.

Anyone tried De-oxiting it (or whatever that RA stuff is)?

Rory, Aug 12, 2003
Ask a Question