Any benefit in removing speaker dust covers (domes)?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Steve Parker, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Steve Parker

Steve Parker

I was reading about the possible advantages of NOT having the speaker cones/dust covers (the small round plasticcy things in the middle of the speaker cone). See link
    http://www.mother-of-tone.com/speaker.htm

I can't find any posts anywhere else as to whether it is a good idea or not. The author of the article in link does the BYOB battery powered DACS and amps, and I've heard good things about them. So's he's not stupid.

But I'm worried about pulling off the cones, because I may not be able to reattach them properly if it doesn't work. (Although they appear to be simply glued on to voice coil)

One cone came off my speaker by accident, and it doesn't seem to do anything but look cosmetically nice, and keep dust out. Made no difference to sound without it (bear in mind that there are 4 cones on my speakers, so loss of 1 isn't dramatic). But it was a nasty sounding piece of plastic when I handled it, so perhaps it does degrade the sound of the actual speaker cones. The cone had a bit of foam glued on the inside, so the designer was obviously trying to damp down its sound. May be it's even better with nothing there.

Only thing I can see as a potential downside is - does removing it chage the damping of the speaker cones (my speakers are rear ported designs)?

Steve Parker, Apr 2, 2008
  2. Steve Parker

zanash

I've an old set of speaker chartwell pm110mkII to be exact ...the dust covers disappeared a few years ago....change in performance ?

none that I could tell ....

the down side of course is getting the ferrofluid, voice coil gap etc clogged with cat fur in our case ...

in some cases the dust cover is part of the propagating surface and its removal could be fatal to the drivers performance.

zanash, Apr 2, 2008
  3. Steve Parker

Steve Parker

I've been surfing the web this afternoon, still looking for clues on this. It seems that taking dust cap off and fitting a phase plug or filling the gap with felt is very good for certain speakers.
    I was beginning to wonder if I'd come across a really obscure and stupid tweak, but searching "phase plug" comes up with loads of mentions.

4. Steve Parker

Steve Parker

5. Steve Parker

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

right then, the same guy who sells £200+ wood panels, nothing special other than the price....

sq225917, Apr 3, 2008
  6. Steve Parker

Steve Parker

200 for a whole panel sounds cheap compared to those little Mpingo (spelling?) discs that some places sell.

Steve Parker, Apr 3, 2008
Ask a Question