Any experience with the different LV Auditorium model?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Garmt, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Garmt

Garmt

I am wondering if you ZG fellows can shed some light on the relative differences between the Living Voice Auditorium/Avatar/OBX-R. I am considering these speakers to go with my Lavardin IT (after hearing them of course).

Thanks!

Garmt, Oct 21, 2005
  2. Garmt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

i'll get in trouble for this..

I think they sound so similar I cant tell them apart. I bought the middle one (avatar) because I liked the finish on the box better than the auditorium and because I got a better deal on it.

Go listen with an open mind, and you might also think that despite the technical differences theres little to audibly differentiate them.

If you can hear a difference, then its up to you to say whether the difference you can hear is worth the extra.

The only thing I'd warn you about per se is that they dont want to be boxed into corners, they like nice open spaces, especially to their outsides and to the rear.

good luck
    chris

bottleneck, Oct 21, 2005
  3. Garmt

Garmt

Thanks for your frank opinion bottleneck! :)

I can give them 4 feet behind them and 2 feet besides them in a room that's 5,5 x 4 x 3 m (18 x 13 x 10 feet).

I was thinking of the middle model as well, because of the better drivers and the absence of two big black boxes I have to place somewhere... :)

They would be placed in place of these beauties... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Garmt, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Garmt

looks like you have a wooden floor with a rug (like me).

one of my early priorities is to get some nice carpet down, for sonic reasons.

the only reason I havent is there are so many non hi-fi things demanding cash!

NB

I liked those wilson b speakers when Ive heard them. Aren't you getting on with them?

bottleneck, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Garmt

Garmt

I know... :) I have rearranged my carpet now (it covers most of the floor now in front of the speakers. I will also get a work of art (my girlfriend is an artist) above the couch (which will dampen reflections a bit).

Sure, I like 'em. They just lack a bit of scale and drama in my room (I have heard them perform better in a smaller room). They are however one of the best stand-mounts I have heard yet for their money.

Garmt, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Garmt

boy_lah

The OBXs are actually far far more transparent than the Avatars. But this is only good if the rest of your system knows what to do with it. Otherwise, the two on face value, can sound very similar.

The external x-over boxes are a pain in the butt and expensive when buying cables. I tossed and turned about this but in the end decided that for ultimate quality, I was prepared to go all the way! An option worth considering is also the LV Avatar IBX ie. OBXs without the external boxes. Kevin Scott doesn't advertise these but if you want them, he does make them to order. Same price as OBX.

yeah, and they like LOTS of width and I have mine 27inches away from the back wall in my lounge (12d x14w x 9h).

boy_lah, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Garmt

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hum nice and fruity specially with Kondos :rolleyes:
    Hey Clint, do you copy the mark out areas that Kev's got in his listening room for the Lv models ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    wadia-miester, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Garmt

garmt, there is a pair of auditoriums in the classifieds here on zerogain. looks like a good price.

NB
    boy-lah - I couldnt differentiate the difference between the 3 speakers at Kevin's place with his full monty demo rig..

The differences between the speakers are very small, if there is an audible difference, it is a small one.

bottleneck, Oct 22, 2005
  9. Garmt

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Thanks for the bump.... BTW I found the Auditoriums to be fairly easy about placement, I got good results from them with only 15 inches from wall to back of speaker, lots of toe-in, no bass boom but superb imaging and scale.

I decided that if I keep them I would have to get back on the amplifier upgrade treadmill to get the very best out of them - would have been trying valves and possibly Sugden A21se or returning to a Lavardin IT.

alanbeeb, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Garmt

Anex Thermionic

The guy at the shop I borrowed a pair of avatar's from reckoned the OBX were much better, same things Boy Lah said, it wasn't a plug as the avatars were used and the shop doesn't stock LV. Not heard them myself to compare though. Mind you he did tell me I should sell my tonearm and buy an SME which pissed me off a bit. Avatars weren't for me, they're very fast which was nice but I wasn't getting the low end I wanted out of them and ultimately I just felt I could build them myself so I couldn't justify that kind of money. I could live with them quite easily though if someone else bought them for me :) It could happen

Anex, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Garmt

boy_lah

Can't disagree. Not the completely neutral but with just a hint of icing sugar. :D

sure...and my speakers are in my bathroom. London flat mate...1/3 the size. :confused: :eek:

besides, I think he over does it with the Kondo gear. I like some of what the japanese gear do, but it can get too much. :MILD:

boy_lah, Oct 22, 2005
  12. Garmt

Doesn't he have a new £7k version with double cryo'd x/overs now ?

wadia-miester, Oct 22, 2005
  13. Garmt

boy_lah

Each to their own. ;) I could quiet easily but then again, I had a pair of OBX in my house for a month before visiting a store. By then I was quiet familiar with them and their capabilities.

My take is that the OBX will withstand more kit upgrades before they become the weakess link than the lower models. Conversely, they'll show up your weakest link a lot earlier. Depends on what your long term plans are I guess.

boy_lah, Oct 22, 2005
  14. Garmt

boy_lah

I hear he's working on some new ones and at the show he had some new KSL specials? i just assumed he wired everything with Kondo Litz cables???

I find Litz and Cyro both relaxes the music. On some gear this really helps but with the OBXs and Kondo, this is overdoing it. ZZZzzzzzzz.....too laid back, too sleepy. Some would call it 'musical'. :rolleyes:

Besides...if he's wants to improve the OBX, I think sorting out the roller coaster impedence curve might be a more impt than cyro or re-wiring with crazy price stuff. 94db?? I don't think so. :D ;)

boy_lah, Oct 22, 2005
  15. Garmt

Personsally I don't find musical presentations sleepy, If they are truely musical they will flow and ebb with the music being sampled.
    The LV's are good, its a synergy thang nothing more.

16. Garmt

Garmt

WM, you think they are better with a Lavvy then with Kondo?

Garmt, Oct 22, 2005
  17. Garmt

Hi G,
    Because I don't do the we are not worthy thing to equipment that costs $£$£$, nothing costing £28k+ awe's me, For sure it does it some beautiful sounds, however not worth the cash at all.
    So many expensive components trade on hifi press wowism & reverence, BUT the bottom line is Does it justify the price. sorry nothing noes at that level.
    The Lv's IMO work better with Border Patrols, more musical & involving, but for me a one trick pony, yes the mid range is superb/sumblime blah blah blah, OK no argurement, However what about the rest of the requency range?
    Its all very well having 22 watts that are sublime, but why should I be restricted to high efficency speakers, when I love the sound of the less efficenct ones.
    The Lavvy works well with the LV has the current and trnasient swing abilit the valvs don't.
    But on the flip side the fluidic mids arn't as good IMO

18. Garmt

Garmt

I know the fluid mids of some good tube amps, but they are not worth throwing away the other attributes of the Lavardin. So I agree with you there. I have done a head to head a the IT with a Graaf GM50 (HEAVILY modified) and still preferred the Lavvy, just for it's more all-round ability. It lacked some of the presence and fluidity of the Graaf, but hey, nothings perfect, the Lavardin is just more perfect than most amps... :)

Garmt, Oct 23, 2005
  19. Garmt

Paul V

Worth a listen, Garmt. I've got OBRXs with Border Patrol P21. The only thing I'd say to their detriment is that they make some rock music sound really rubbish. It's almost as if some of your enjoyment is taking away because the music sounds so rough. Perhaps they are too revealing. With well-recorded stuff they're magic.

They also seem to like vinyl a lot. Even my lean Xerxes/Microgroove + sounds a lot "fleshier" and musical than digital [Denon 2900/Chord DAC 64].

Couldn't tell you how they compare with Auditoriums, though I would have thought the best things about the family remain the same whichever model you choose, perhaps they just get more refined as you pay more money. They're not bass monsters, by the way, but what bass there is tuneful and fast, at least in my system.

Paul

Paul V, Oct 26, 2005
  20. Garmt

boy_lah

Tony, you always talk about things being one trick ponnies. Care to elaborate what you consider 'all rounded'?? For comparison, could you use the BP/OBX as basis? :MILD:

boy_lah, Oct 26, 2005
Ask a Question