Anyone heard Bel Canto Pre6 or PrePro?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SteveC, Jan 26, 2004.

1. SteveC

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Hi -

I'm looking for a cinema processor to replace my Linn 5103. The main motivation is to be able to process SACD and DVD-A properly, together with the other cinema sound formats. Video switching is not a priority, hence the interest in the Pre6 (no vid switching) whereas the more expensive PrePro does.

Can anyone give any comments (of any kind) on these? There seem to be a few Bel Canto fans around. I had considered getting the forthcoming Linn Kinos, reputed to be about £4500 in March, which will be the little brother to the expensive Kisto processor and partner to the unidisk 2.1 universal player. However, I don't mind breaking out of the Linn fold with a little help.

Please note that the 5103 is very well thought of just as a stereo preamp, at least in Linn circles, so the replacement must be good in this area, as a minimum. TIA for any help.

SteveC, Jan 26, 2004
  2. SteveC

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Steve, my Brother has a prepro, he sold his more expensive processor to accquire one, excellent with 2 channel as well, a plethara of conection arrays, tft screen, superb build and fab with movies and surround music, he bought his in the states mucho better value tha the uk. Wm

wadia-miester, Jan 26, 2004
  3. SteveC

Thanks, I haven't found the UK or European price for the Pro yet, but it's probably too much, since the Pre6 is less than half in dollars. Also I'm not sure the Pro handles DVD-A and SACD.

I sent an email off the Bel Canto to see what the Pre6 costs in Europe and where I can hear/buy one. I think I'll restrict my enquiries to this rather than the Pro.

SteveC, Jan 26, 2004
  4. SteveC

In the (unlikely) event that someone wants a Pre6 or PrePro in Norway, I can tell you I have been contacted by www.audiofreaks.no, who apparently can import them and can supply after adjusting for VAT (24%). It's still a big problem to know where these lie on the universal scale of things.

SteveC, Jan 30, 2004
  5. SteveC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

24%?

I must be missing something?

17.5% surely?

bottleneck, Jan 30, 2004
  6. SteveC

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Chris, plus 4.5% import tax and any difference between the vat in norway and the UK :(

wadia-miester, Jan 30, 2004
Ask a Question