Anyone see the new SME M2 Tonearm reviewed in HiFi News?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Just read the review of this new tonearm in hi fi news. Visually it looks like a descendent of the old and venerable 3009 II it replaces (but with a straight arm).

Not silly money (well not for an SME anyway) - can't remember the exact figure but around the £500 region and comes in 9, 10 and 12 inch variants.

According to the review its fully adjustable (including the VTA and azimuth adjustments the Rega's lack) and engineered to top quality standards (detachable headshell too). They also suggested that SME may have shot themselves in the foot somewhat as they reckoned it approached the SME V level in terms of sound quality and if this is the case who would buy the 309 or the IV??

Of course I dunno if its the usual hifi mag hype, but if they really are that good it means the fully modded up Rega's finally may have some real competition. It'd also look a lot better on a vintage deck :)

Uncle Ants, Feb 12, 2004
  2. Uncle Ants

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ants,

I too have read the review. Interesting comments about the new SME arm. It does look 'Old Worlde'. As for being nearly as good as a SME V, I do not know. Jimmy Hughes seems to wax lyrically about it & the turntable.

I must admit that it doesn't (to mine eyes) look as good as the SME 309/IV/V. But it's good to see new tonearms hitting the market.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 12, 2004
  3. Uncle Ants

SMEagol Because we wants it...

believe the rumours/ears... its absolutely brilliant! Looks a little old school, but like Ants, I quite like that. I've had one of the more exotic SME's - a 309 as well as a venerable 3009 mk2 improved, I love the M2, my old SME 3009 mkII improved (which I spose this resembles) was rewired with silver by a high end guy, and this M2 sounds more vibrant lithe and detailed in its bog standard form. I've not heard a V, but this is all the performance I think I'll ever need. I've read another review from a guy that prefers the M2 to his V on his Scheu TT, so maybe it could be that good?...

Here we go... this guy seems to know his strudel...

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/scheu_n2a_e.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
    SMEagol, Oct 13, 2007
Ask a Question