anyone see top gear last night?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Jul 14, 2003.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

clarkson was on top form....
    ripping the p*ss right out of patric stewart.
    calling one of his co presenters a c*nt (whilst trying to get it up in lights and it being censored by the equipment being used)
    multiple references to the same co presenters stature.
    driving and crashing another vauxhaull and then grinding it into the dust with a withering review.
    going off on one about the film on bbc1
    saying that driving the new performance volvo while a horrible experience was less embarassing that driving a new m3
    mucking about on segways
    ridiculing all 3 major political parties.
    smashing into props on said segways and swearing more.
    the mans a comic genius.
    sorry had to share my opinion.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 14, 2003
  2. julian2002

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You'll never guess who he uses a model :D

wadia-miester, Jul 14, 2003
  3. julian2002

johnhunt recidivist

clarkson''s very funny on the subject of cars and little else. that's fine but I suspect he's a f*&%ing tory. Which isn't.

johnhunt, Jul 14, 2003
  4. julian2002

Hex Spurt

If Top Gear was a newspaper it would be The Daily Sport. Tongue in cheek, full of bollocks and a bloody good laugh. :D

Hex Spurt, Jul 15, 2003
  5. julian2002

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

any one got a spare £21k you could put in hippys direction?
    [​IMG]

themadhippy, Jul 15, 2003
  6. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

I personally can't stand Top Gear or Clarkson. Top Gear was ok when it was a program about cars but then Driven and now Fifth Gear (the "old" Top Gear but on Channel 5 after the BBC decided they were going to axe TG) showed the way it should be done.

Clarkson is a xenophobic, bigoted, arrogant, and pompous twat who would makes Adolf Hitler look like a nice bloke. He tried to have is own chat show before and it deservedly flopped miserably and now with the new Top Gear he's just using the established name of the show and occaisionally talking about cars to have another go at his "chat show" and IMO it's just as much a bunch of cr@p as the first attempt. It's frankly embarrassing to watch.

His "humour" isn't funny anymore and his trademark humourous similies get worse every time and now it looks like he's resorted to schoolboy toilet humour and trying to use the C word to rescue himself :rolleyes:

If Beavis & Butthead lived in England then Clarkson's Top Gear would be their favourite show.

btw, does he still write his BNP campaign column in the Sun?

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 15, 2003
  7. julian2002

Hex Spurt

You don't watch Clarkson for his insightful views (sic) on motoring, it's just pure entertainment like some really bad cabaret singer. It's so bad it's funny. That's the whole appeal of Clarkson IMO.

Hex Spurt, Jul 15, 2003
  8. julian2002

after a tough and intellectually challenging week relaxing in front of top gear is, i find, a good way to wind down and prepare for the comming monday.
    i think saying clarkson is worse than adolph hitler is a little over the top i can only think that he's prodded a sore spot with his views on the m3 ;) . perhaps the worst that could be realisticly leveled at him is that he's a bit of a mysoginist and has no truck with being 'p.c.'.
    i also really liked his chat show, i still enjoy the occasional beavis and butt head, laugh at the osbournes and jackass / dirty sanchez and i find adrian edmundson and rik mayal so funny that i've frequently been unable to breathe at their antics.
    i'm not sure about his politics however i feel that i'm mature enough to make up my own mind about my political orientation without someone who is obviously taking the p*ss deciding it for me.
    he no longer writes for the sun however having read his work since the early days of fast lane and performance car (where he actually won a journalist of the year award) i'd say that he can be a serious motoring journalist up there with the likes of david vivian, ljk setwright et al.
    just my opinion....

hippy, get in line.... that carver looked mental i'd love one.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 15, 2003
  9. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

I didn't watch the last show (can't get it here in Portugal) so I didn't see his comments on the M3 but I couldn't care less what he thinks of it.

I guess I just really dislike the guy. My Beavis & Butthead reference was misunderstood - I like the B&B (I think it's hillarious) but it's the kind of losers like B&B that TG is aimed at IMO (present company excepted of course Jules :) ).

There's a lot of non/anti PC humour I find very funny but Clarkson just really grates. Some of his views are pretty distasteful and I'm never sure whether he's taking the p*ss or not. I guess I just don't "get" him. He constantly seems like he's trying too hard to be funny or say controversial things to me.

As far as car shows go, give me Vikki Butler-Henderson stepping into a Ferrari wearing a mini-skirt any day :p

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 15, 2003
  10. julian2002

michael, i can understand how he can come across as grating and if that's you opinion then fine.
    if you don't mind could you tell me what views clarkson hold that you find distasteful? i think he spouts certain 70's stereotypes but imo it's more to get a reaction than any beliefs he holds - of course i don't know the man from adam so he could be a fully paid up grand wizzard of the bnp and i wouldn't know it.

driven, pulling power and 5th gear are all very much 2nd rate imo. no more jason plato or that funny little bloke who does a 2nd had car programme too on driven so that's gone down hill (or it was when i last saw it). pulling power is just rubbish. and 5th gear is toe curlingly embarrassing with tiff needell (brilliant driver though he is) doing a very 2nd rate job of trying to anchor the show and the only saving grace being (as you rightly point out) vikki butler-hendersons womanly attributes (which is very un p.c. and clarksonesque of both of us to just watch the programme for that)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 15, 2003
  11. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

Julian, I don't know him either but in his Sun column he used to make some pretty unpleasant comments about assylum seekers, Pakistani's, women, gays etc. Whether he meant them all I don't know but he made them nevertheless.

A friend of mine who has met him on a couple of occaisions says that he really does hold some pretty racist and xenophobic views. I'd better not say much more at the risk of making libellous or defamatory claims.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 15, 2003
  12. julian2002

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

sssshsssh - you'll wake me and others up again with that asylum banter... (NOTE - if Clarkson's dissing BOGUS asylum seekers than that's kool and the gang - if he's dissing the ~3 genuine ones we got in Britain this year, that's not on...)

That motorbike/car crossover thingy rocks (no pun intended!) though - I'd LOVE one of those - mind you, it seems a bit like technology for technology's sake - either that or they're trying to use up all the spares left over from the Advanced Passenger Train fiasco...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2003
    domfjbrown, Jul 15, 2003
  13. julian2002

michael,
    personally speaking i've always found it a bit ridiculous that it's only acceptable to make (asian / fat / blonde / disabled / insert minority here) jokes if you belong to that particular minority.
    surely equality means just that, equality. of course pandering to or reinforcing stereotypes can be offensive but every group in the world whether the majority or not in that particular area is stereotyped to some degree.
    unfortunately a lot of humor is charicaturing stereotypes, witness eddie murphys white mans overbite dance and chris rock's i love black people but i hate.... comedy routines. both were incredibly pointed, funny, topical and controversial and reinforced stereotypes. however one routine wouldn't have been funny if performed by a white guy and the other would have probably resulted in a prison sentance. similarly if a female commedienne made some of the comments that clarkson does to his female guest's it would be ok whereas when he does it it's not. i find this to be a hypocritical double standard but of course this is the way the world is and it's here we have to live.
    I find clarkson to be quite funny, occasionally tedious, rarely offensive but at his best when talking about cars which at the end of the day is the raison d-etre of top gear.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 15, 2003
  14. julian2002

technobear Ursine Audiophile

He's also very funny on the subjects of America and Wales :p

technobear, Jul 15, 2003
  15. julian2002

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I missed that one...

All I want to know is how fast did Captain Picard go round the track ??? :confused: :D

GTM

GTM, Jul 18, 2003
  16. julian2002

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Can't remember the time GTM, but it was a good one near the top.

I like Clarkson, it can get a little samey, but at times he's spot on. Don't understand his anti-vauxhall bias, but we all have them about something or other.

Cheers

timpy, Jul 18, 2003
  17. julian2002

Hex Spurt

Yes. At warp factor six apparently :D Posted a pretty reasonable time - something around 1 min 50 secs

Engage!! :D

Hex Spurt, Jul 18, 2003
  18. julian2002

gtm,
    i believe it was 1 min 50 seconds however it was the same time as clarkson did it in and a couple of tv chefs so he was chuffed about that.. he was also chuffed to beat michael gambon even though M.G. did try to turn the suzuki into a motorbike.
    aparently JK was well unchuffed about being beaten, and beaten by a GIRL! so he wants to go back on an have another crack at it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 18, 2003
  19. julian2002

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

cool.. he is DA MAN !! :cool:

Not only is he a great shakespearian actor.. captain of the flagship of the fleet.. but he's a quick driver too !! what more could you ask for?? :D

Julain.. what you mean?? JK IS a girl !! :rolleyes: :p

GTM

GTM, Jul 19, 2003
  20. julian2002

well he certainly hits like one from the way he drunkenly tries to slap the paparatzzi. and he must be trying reverse psycology on everyone by buying every new ferarri that comes a long to say he doesn't care about proving his manhood...
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 19, 2003
Ask a Question