anyone tried NAxos SACDs?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by midlifecrisis, May 14, 2004.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

I see Naxos have reissued a bunch of recordings on SACD for about £9 - has anyone tried one to see how worthy an effort they are? Haven't seen any in the shops, so I might mail order one just to see...

midlifecrisis, May 14, 2004
  2. midlifecrisis

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Haven't tried any yet but am very tempted by the Vaughan William Sea Symphony under Paul Daniel. I've got it on CD and think its pretty good.
    I think they also are doing the same titles on DVD-A.... now that's hedging!

alanbeeb, May 14, 2004
  3. midlifecrisis

Didn't try any NAxos SACDs yet, but have obtained the DVD-A release of VW Sea Symphony. And I have to say the sound quality is absolute mush. The booklet note says its 5.1 44.1Khz/16 bit - so its the same resolution as normal CD. But the redbook CD version, which I've got, is much much better.
    Very disappointing indeed. So far I've only found about three DVD-As I actually want to have, and this one is a complete dud.

alanbeeb, Jul 12, 2004
  4. midlifecrisis

MartinC Trainee tea boy

When you say the redbook CD version is better, was that playing the DVD-A using a surround speaker setup or just 2 channel? I guess either way you could see how if at the same resolution the DVD-A may end up sounding worse...

MartinC, Jul 12, 2004
  5. midlifecrisis

Playing the redbook Cd on the same system using either 'direct' mode - pure normal stereo with no EQ, or in artificial surround mode using Dolby ProLogic II or DTS Neo:6 was cleaner and more satisfying than the DVD-A.
    The system being used for this: Pioneer 868 universal player, ilink'd to Pioneer AX-5 receiver, 4 x Monitor audio S5i, 1 MA Silver ctr.

BTW This is not a dig at DVD-A, One of the 3 other DVD-As I have, the Harnoncourt Bach St. Matthew Passion sounds wonderful and is a dimension ahead of the 2 channel CD version.

alanbeeb, Jul 12, 2004
  6. midlifecrisis

MartinC Trainee tea boy

The redbook artificially converted to surround being better than the DVD-A in surround is bizarre. They must have done something rather odd making that DVD-A...

MartinC, Jul 12, 2004
Ask a Question