Apart from classical

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Some twenty years ago I decided to investigate the British beat/rock, which actually appealed to me, a little more. I ended up with some LPs and CDs which I still listen to now and then. These are, to mention the most important groups or single artists:

The Alan Parsons Project (at the time of Eric Wolfson)

Colin Blunstone

Camel

Cockney Rebel and Steve Harley

Eric Clapton

Gary Brooker

Gary Rafferty

Brian Ferry and Roxy Music

Gary Wright

John Wetton, whether in Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Asia or elsewhere.

And who can resist J.J.Cale?

And of course The Beatles and the post-Beatles production of Lennon and Harrison.

pe-zulu, Jul 2, 2007
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Some comments pe-zulu:

The Alan Parsons Project - interesting band- I know just "eye in the sky" which obviously inspired Sting for his "Every breath you take"... see the similarity?

Clapton: marvellous in his day, which was 1966-1971...
    Very talented artist.

Uriah Heep: no I don't know Wetton. Before Wetton their bassist was Gary Thain, who played nice melodic bass lines... I remember to this day "Easy livin" and Thain's bass lines, which increased bass guitar sales.

The post-Beatles production of Lennon and Harrison is to my ears uninspired.

bat, Jul 7, 2007
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

BAT, I have to say, that I find almost all beat music superficial compared to the classical music, but maybe it is just me?

pe-zulu, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Mmm... coming back for my lovely Françoise hardy, I see she did not really impress you a lot... Is is just me that feel about to fall in love with her?

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Françoise hardy: the melody and her voice are nothing to write home about. Somehow calculated...

beat music superficial - often yes, but in principle I don't agree.
    Let's compare for instance the beginning of Beethoven's 5th symphony and Cream's "Sunshine of your love". Both are based on a rather similar four note 'riff', Cream's piece is just much shorter and thus very much more effective.

bat, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

Czechchris

I note you said "almost all". What, then, do you find not to be superficial?

For me, most of the music of Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart) is staggeringly complex. Some modern classical music is staggeringly simple (minimalism) but I love it just the same. (Philip Glass especially.)

Czechchris, Jul 9, 2007
Ask a Question