Arcam A32/P35 vs A85/P85 - which is best?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by flash, Mar 11, 2006.

1. flash

flash Two ears: two channels

I'm sure this must have been asked before but I can't search with such short model names as A32 or FMJ ...

I am very happy with my A85/P85 set-up but an A32 opportunity has presented itself.... Has anyone any experience of both? Is the A32 actually any better or is this just marketing flannel?

If you have any experiences of your own or could point me to sources of relevant info then I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks,

flash, Mar 11, 2006
  2. flash

hifienthusiast

I have listened to both FMJ A32/P35 and A85/P85 driving ATC SCM12 speakers. The difference is really insignificant. If you look at the inside of all four amps, the power amp sections are identical. The difference in power output is probably due to higher running voltage of the FMJ series. However, the FMJ series have a more pleasing fascia than the cheaper looking A85/P85.

I must admit I do like the warm sound of these Arcam amps. Their midrange is very nice indeed.

hifienthusiast, Mar 11, 2006
  3. flash

I suspected as much: though like you I prefer the fascia, I'm not sure I can justify the costs of upgrading and the hassle of selling my A85/P85 (because the A32 is a private sale) for a pretty face.

I think I'm going to get a much bigger bang for my buck by upgrading my ProAc Studio 125s to 140s (also on the cards).

I'd probably describe the A85/P85 as neutral rather than warm myself - I don't think it adds much to, or takes much from, the source, it just tells it how it is.

Thanks for the input,

Flash

flash, Mar 11, 2006
  4. flash

aquapiranha

I guess you could say that I am a bit biased, and find my A85/P85 to be fantastic.

aquapiranha, Mar 11, 2006
  5. flash

Compared with the A32/P35?

flash, Mar 12, 2006
Ask a Question