Arcam Alpha 5+ problem.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by chris.gally, Mar 26, 2004.

1. chris.gally

chris.gally

I own an Arcam Alpha 5+ which, when connected up works fine for around 10mins, then..... both channels start to break up. If i turn the player off and on again and press play the channel break up happens almost imediately.. This leads me to beleive that its something to do with the player warming up. Thats as far as my knowledge stretches i'm afraid.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Chris

chris.gally, Mar 26, 2004
  2. chris.gally

Pino Spetzberg

This happened to my Alpha 5.
    It was simply a capacitor that was replaced at minimal cost.
    Apparently it is a well known fault / repair with Arcam CD players, you should have no difficulty getting it fixed.
    By the way mine went faulty in 1999, it is now working fine, so it's definitely worth repairing. :cowboy:

Pino Spetzberg, Mar 26, 2004
  3. chris.gally

Ed Needham

Hi Chris,

Nothing that goes near a repair shop is 'minimal cost' these days! There are 2 capacitors in the power supply circuit that are prone to going AWOL on Alpha 5s. The problem is that to get at them, you have to completely dismantle the player, replace the 10p components, reassemble, safety test and function test. Plus of course transport to and from the engineer's. Reckon on about £100 (sorry!).

The other concern with Alpha 5s (and anything else that used the Philips CDM9 mech) is that laser mechs are now all but unobtainable and every Alpha 5 is living on borrowed time laser wise. I had an Alpha 5 repaired around Christmas (drawer pinion teeth sheared - another not unknown problem), only for the laser to shine it's last a month later.

Ed (The AudioWorks, Cheadle)

Ed Needham, Mar 26, 2004
  4. chris.gally

LesW

Caution - Commercial

Ed speaketh nought but the truth.

Apologies for being overtly commercial but if it helps owners of players with CDM9 transports, we have several hundred (you read right) in stock. Sadly supplies of the laser diode have all but dried up but we still have some mint, tested secondhand units with a six month replacement guarantee at around thirty squids.

Tel: 01246 200096

LesW, Mar 26, 2004
  5. chris.gally

Pino Spetzberg

Yes, that's exactly what happened to mine.
    Perhaps I should have mentioned, my repair cost £25 plus VAT at a local TV repair shop.
    My local Arcam dealer estimated £100 too, :student: but in fairness this also included refreshing the smoke and mirrors. :D

Pino Spetzberg, Mar 27, 2004
  6. chris.gally

chris.gally

Thanks for all the advice...

Ill open it up and have a snoop around this evening.

Thanks again

Chris

chris.gally, Mar 27, 2004
Ask a Question