Arcam Black Box DAC - any good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Apr 13, 2005.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Hi all,

I noticed Audio T have one of these on their website for about £100. If I ran this using my NAD C521BEE as a transport, do you reckon I'd get any noticable improvements?

Thanks,
    Neil

nsherin, Apr 13, 2005
  2. nsherin

mr cat Member of the month

I'll tell ya after I've bought it...it's what I'm after...! ;)

mr cat, Apr 13, 2005
  3. nsherin

Will The Lucky One

From what I have been told/read, the Arcam Delta transports and 'black box' DACs are pretty outdated and not really anything special sound wise, but not having heard one myself thats only going on hearsay :)

Will, Apr 13, 2005
  4. nsherin

Mr Cat - is that the one from Audio T you are after? Be interested to hear what you think. Will you may have a point there - my CDP is pretty recent.

nsherin, Apr 13, 2005
  5. nsherin

Hodgesaargh

I wouldnt bother with it, it's very old and doesnt compare to today's offerings. Get a NOS-DAC - miles better and about the same price.

Hodgesaargh, Apr 13, 2005
  6. nsherin

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Also they go for about 60 quid on ebay.

garyi, Apr 13, 2005
  7. nsherin

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Which black box is it? There were at least three versions: 5, 50 and I think 500.

I owned a 50 for a while and it was nothing special really. I got this with my Arcam Delta 250 transport and as a combo I preferred this to the fairly new (~2 years ago) NAD player I had at the time. Embarrassingly I can't remember the model number but it's RRP was £250. The thing is though the sound of the Arcam pairing was totally dominated by the transport, making the overall sound very smooth. The BB 50 I had was significantly bettered by my current DAC20 mind.

Gut feeling this, but if I had a fairly compentent modern player I wouldn't be looking at buying a BB for £100. As others mentioned, trying one of the cheap NOS DACs might be a more interesting thing to go for.

MartinC, Apr 13, 2005
  8. nsherin

Thanks all, I think I'll give it a miss. If it was going to offer any significant improvement, I'd have gone for it, but I'm honestly quite happy with the sound, so I think I'll leave well alone for a while...

nsherin, Apr 13, 2005
  9. nsherin

was only joking mate! but actually I am thinking about buying a cheapish dac - just to see what it's like...

seen some Musical Fidelity X-ACT DACs around...may check them out... ;)

mr cat, Apr 14, 2005
  10. nsherin

That's OK mate :) Would be interested to hear about the MF DACs - I start a new job on Monday which means more spare cash for toys, so I could well be looking at one in a month or so.

nsherin, Apr 14, 2005
  11. nsherin

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Don't bother - they're terrible. Bought one to go with my Pioneer DV-565 and sold it three weeks later. Way too bright and muddled to give any positive benefit. I think MF spent 98% on the fancy casework, 1% on the components and 1% on the PSU :rolleyes:

TBH, I doubt you'll find a dac for less than £300 that will provide a worthwile improvement over your BEE.

(Those NOS dacs also seem to have a very good rep though.)

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 14, 2005
  12. nsherin

yeah, cheers for your input - but I think you've got me mixed up with nsherin - as I've got a yammy cd player, I probably wouldn'y use it on my dvd player...

if I get one and it makes no difference then I'll sell it on...I could possibly look at upgrading my cd player, but the one I have is a multi-player (can hold 5 cds) - and with me being a lazy sod, thats a boon...unless someone knows a really good multiplayer cdp..?

mr cat, Apr 14, 2005
Ask a Question