Arcam cd82 or cd 192 to match a85 amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by spion kop, Sep 17, 2005.

1. spion kop

spion kop

Which player would be best suited sonically for use with the a85 intergrated amplifier ?

Also be interested to know which speakers a85 users own.

Regards.

spion kop, Sep 17, 2005
  2. spion kop

Cloth-Ears

I've used 2 Arcam players in the past and I have heard an A85 amp twice in different settings and equipment used. Honestly I think you could use a far more expensive amp with cd players of this level, given how far cd players have come. I wouldn't waste your money on an expensive cd player. I wonder if you have the 82 but consider the 192 as an "ungrade" . I'm sure it would be but is it really worth it at this level of amp ? I doubt it. I really think Arcam amps are boring. I've heard an A85 alongside two other amps at a bit more money and I think you need to go for speakers that will open up the sound with some sparkle. Can't say which, but go for something that doesn't bog you down in your boots. Arcam themselves say that Monitor Audio work well with their amps. Never heard them, but I have read they are as a family bright and breezy sort of things, so I read. Maybe get a dem. Maybe the Silver range would be a reasonable price-quality balance for an A85. Correct me if I'm wrong but these are getting replaced soon, so you may get a bargain.

Cloth-Ears, Sep 17, 2005
  3. spion kop

spion kop

Thanks for that cloth ears.
    I have contemplated upgrading the 82 to the 192 specs, I think this will cost around £500.

My current speakers are b&w cm2's.
    I have noticed some castle conway 3's for £600 from peter tyson.

spion kop, Sep 17, 2005
  4. spion kop

Cloth-Ears

Be sure its what you want, i.e. will thay be open enough for your amp ? Try the Castles first, with the amp. I just remember the Arcam to be sort of flat, dull and safe, not meaning to be cheeky to you, just saying it as it is since you're asking for help choosing partering equipment. I myself have fallen foul of this kind of thing before and hopefully now will rectify it with the appropriate partners. But I had made mistakes based on purchases without auditioning.

If you are spending £500 + £600, that's £1100. For that money I'd try something you hadn't thought of before. Take your amp along to a Sugden dealer and hear it next to an A21 at £950 or £1050 with phono. Its an amazing bargain and so much more open, in a rounded and pleasing way. Indeed, you often see A21's for sale second hand on hififorsale.com , here and on Ebay.
    Partner with quite sensitive speakers that are also a good sonic match for your Sugden.

In a way I wish I had bought a nice simple Sugden A21 a year ago instead of the expensive,complicated 10 box mess I am wrestling with now. It would have only cost me a grand and I'd have the heart of a brilliant music system. Just add nice second hand Proacs and a decent cd player and bingo, hifi settled.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
    Cloth-Ears, Sep 18, 2005
  5. spion kop

spion kop

Thanks again.
    Does anyone know what differences there are between the monitor audio s6 and the rs6?
    Much appreciated.

spion kop, Sep 18, 2005
  6. spion kop

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The CD192 is certainly an upgrade over the '82. I can also confirm that the CD192 is good enough to use with much more expensive amps and revealing speakers (see sig :) ).

There's a nice pair of Castle Conway 3 in the classified sections for only £450. Bargain!

The Castles would sound fab with a Sugden. I dare say they will sound good with the A85 too though.

technobear, Sep 18, 2005
  7. spion kop

Cloth-Ears

Technobear, while writing my reply I thought to mention your Conways, yet forgot to type it, sorry my furry friend.

Agree about the cd being usable with far more expensive amps. Ditto the 82. CD players have come on so far, I don't think you need to "price match" cds and amps in the way you had to spend heaps on your turntable source to get good. That 192 could be used with an amp twice as much, easy. I think you have to spend a bit to get a really good amp. The amps are I believe the heart of a system. Each source will sound different to the other and you can play around with them but get good amplification and leave it as a constant, I think. Each room and taste in speaker presentation will vary so play around with different speakers too.

I said I think you have to spend a bit on amps, yet there are bargains out there. One of the most amazing is that Sugden, at its new price. Honestly the difference in pleasure between the two is very very clear. Of course if you buy used the field is opened right up. About the Sugden, I'd only say don't buy if you're a headbanger a or night club music type, as there are better amps for that. But it does most rock music beautifully, just to reasure you.

My suggestion is a bit of a wild card as its not exactly what you asked. However, when you think what you could raise by selling the Arcam amp, possibly the cd, adding to the money you were going to spend, you could turn your system right round. In the case of the cd, think that £500 upgrade money, plus money from the sale of the 82 = enough to buy a hell of a good player other than Arcam ( or indeed a new Arcam !). At least try to hear Sugden's own player in concert with the amp. I've not heard it but a dealer told me that most customers who try it love the combination.

What you did specifically ask is which cd player is more sonically suited to your amp, 82 or 192. Well, of course the 192 will give you more insight into your discs, but with this amp you'll not hear the full benefit. I could just imagine the comic What HiFi giving an answer like, "oh yes that £500 will bring definite improvements to your front end then you can add on a power amp with your A85 , then you can triwire it withRip-Off Cables Inc. voodoo wire ........ " etc, etc, etc. But none of that will make massive differences to your experience. I'm saying, for the different ways you can play around with cash money raised from equipment sales, you can do a lot better. Get a fantastic amp at the heart of your system and keep it, get speakers to suit your room and taste and play around from time to time with different sources.

Cloth-Ears, Sep 18, 2005
Ask a Question