Arcam Comparison

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sane4sure, May 17, 2005.

1. sane4sure

sane4sure

Has anyone compared various 'recent' Arcam CD players? In particular, I'd like to know how the FMJ CD23 compares to the CD72T, CD82T and CD92T.

sane4sure, May 17, 2005
  2. sane4sure

McLogan

The FMJ CD23 is miles better than the CD72 (itself a good multibit player for the price). It also has more presence than the CD92 while sharing many of the latter's virtues. I don't know about the CD82 but I think it's a clone of the 72.

And so the CD23 should be better, when you compare the prices. I have the upsampling CD93 since funds don't extend into the FMJ range, and I'll happily die with it. I've heard that digital theory warns against upsampling players. Who cares? Mine sounds magnificent in my system in my room and I didn't re-mortgage the house to buy it.

McLogan, May 18, 2005
  3. sane4sure

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Not considering ditching that fabulous TMA front-end are you, sane4sure?

I doubt anything Arcam has to offer would significantly improve upon it.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, May 18, 2005
  4. sane4sure

sane4sure

McLogan, thanks for the info - I think the FMJ will be out of my price range but those 'lesser' Arcam offerings may be just what I need!

Dynamic Turtle, the TAG gear has got to go to fund other projects (see my ad in the For Sale section) and I'm struggling to find something to 'downgrade' to that will still sound good!

sane4sure, May 18, 2005
  5. sane4sure

GAZZ

The Fmj23 is the best out of the players you state the 92 is close but lack in the bottom end compared to the cd23. IMO the cd23 is a better player than the cd33.

GAZZ, May 18, 2005
  6. sane4sure

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Shame that - lovely system you've got there. You'll miss it loads I'm sure. Can't think of an obvious replacement - best go for some older kit perhaps?

You should be able to get some early ninties Meridian digital pretty cheap - look at the 206/7/8 cdp's. Loads about on ebay at sensible prices.

Amp wise, I could happily live with an MF X-A1 or X-A2. 50wpc of very sweet, musical amplification for around £250.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, May 19, 2005
  7. sane4sure

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

IMHO the CD23 is far better than FMJ33 far more music with the 23

wadia-miester, May 19, 2005
  8. sane4sure

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I don't know about the FMJ33, but I have the DiVA CD192 and I am finding it every bit as musical as the Alpha 9 used to be whilst being smoother still, having more air, bigger soundstage, etc. Some people have said the bass lacks a bit of impact and definition on the upsampling players compared to the Alpha 9/CD92 but this is not evident at Technobear Towers where I have had the opportunity to compare the two side by side. The CD192 has thwack a plenty and goes deep and firm with plenty of detail.

Of course mine lives in a rather pampered environment being fed by a Sounds Fantastic, a Trichord Powerblock and an Omiga mains cable as well as sitting on a Seismic Sink. All these things help considerably but it was still very good for the money without them.

The CD92T was very similar in construction to the Alpha 9 although was not rated quite as highly by reviewers for some reason.

The CD23 was also essentially an Alpha 9 in a posh frock with a better power supply and a more solid case. Sounds like the 9 only better. Definitely a good second hand buy.

The CD93T ditched the RingDAC of the Alpha 9 and went for a 24bit upsampling jobbie. I didn't listen extensively but what I did hear sounded good to me.

The CD192 looks similar on paper to the CD93T except that Arcam found a way of lowering the price by 50 quid. I am very satisfied with mine :cool:

I think it's time I had a bake-off so you can all judge for yourselves :D

technobear, May 19, 2005
  9. sane4sure

sane4sure

Thanks to all for the advice. It looks like I'm going to be glued to Ebay for a while!

sane4sure, May 19, 2005
  10. sane4sure

sane4sure

Just as an aside, what are your thoughts on laying out less cash and buying an older alpha 7, 8 or 9?

And, to try and keep the missus happy, I'd like to have a 'matching' amp. How good are the Arcam offerings?

sane4sure, May 19, 2005
  11. sane4sure

I found the Alpha 7 and 8 a little wanting in the smoothness department (although in line with the competition at that price). The Alpha 9 is a completely different animal and set the standard at its price point for the entire time it was in production. Just 10 seconds is all it takes to hear the difference. It's that obvious.

technobear, May 19, 2005
  12. sane4sure

sane4sure

Thanks Techno - so, at the end of the day, 9 amp and CD or newer versions?

sane4sure, May 19, 2005
  13. sane4sure

Just noticed you're using a DAC20. Boy are you in for a surprise. Hee hee!

I forget now how many were present when we pitted the Alpha 9 against a DAC20 but only one preferred the DAC20.

If you can find them, my choice second hand would be a CD23 and an A32.

technobear, May 20, 2005
  14. sane4sure

sane4sure

Alas Technobear me thinks those babies are going to be over budget!

Hmmm, an Alpha 9 outperforming my beloved DAC20, I may have to buy one just to hear that for myself!

Do you think the 9 amp and the 9 CD will work as a 'cheap' version of your recommended CD23/A32?

sane4sure, May 20, 2005
  15. sane4sure

Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer, May 20, 2005
  16. sane4sure

Yes. I used to use my 9 with an 8R and an 8P bi-amped into Mission 773e's. A very good system for the money.

Dunno what interconnects you have but QED Qunex 2 worked well and is relatively affordable. I upgraded to Van den Hul D102 mkIII when some came up second hand - nicely neutral, smooth and transparent. Try what you already have first though.

I used (still use) QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable.

Physical isolation helps to get the best top end transparency and clarity from the CD player. I use a Seismic Sink but there are plenty of budget options - Foculpods for example.

Mains isolation helps too. This will improve transparency and lower the noise floor from top to bottom. The Olson Sounds Fantastic was a sound buy. The Trichord Powerblock is superb and pretty much makes the Olson redundant. On a budget - Eupen GNLM 05/2.5 is what I used. Don't go for the thicker 05/04; it will make the bass overblown (works well on the sub :) ).

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2005
    technobear, May 20, 2005
  17. sane4sure

sane4sure

OK, sounds reasonable to me - anyone out there with Alpha 9 gear for sale?

sane4sure, May 20, 2005
  18. sane4sure

See above. I added some more while you typed that reply.

technobear, May 20, 2005
  19. sane4sure

sane4sure

Chris, I have VDH interconnects (can't remember which model) and DNM Reson speaker cables. I'll definately be keeping my Quad 22L's (there's only so much I'm prepared to sacrifice!) As to supports and mains filters etc, I'm a bit of a heretic in that I've yet to hear the benefits!

sane4sure, May 20, 2005
  20. sane4sure

sane4sure

Chris,

When you compared the 9CD with the DAC20, what transport did you use? Was it the digital output of the 9CD? How did the sound compare and what were the 'differences'?

sane4sure, May 21, 2005
Ask a Question