Argos - Crappy crap crap

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 25, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Despite warnings of my mum that Argos only sell cheap rubbish and I should avoid them I bought a new swivel chair for them costing me £45. I have used it for two hours and the its now warn down so badly that I feel a sharp object when I sit on it, its the base screws, this should only happen after 12 months or so.

Also it dosn't have any of the 1988 safety stickers on which i thought all foamed furniture in the UK had to have since the 1979 Manchester woolworths fire.

Am I in my rights to take it back even though its been used? I am not sure if you can dismantle the gas lift once its been assembled.

amazingtrade, Mar 25, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Sounds like it's not fit for the purpose for which it is intended to me. Take it back.

stumblin, Mar 25, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Yep, the problem is as far as I know you can't dismantle the gas lift from the base, but its just tough, I paid £45 for this, which for is a small fortune.

It is not even cheap for the type of chair so I expected somthing of very high quality.

amazingtrade, Mar 25, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Mart Smog Dodger

Argos have an unconditional money back guarentee, even if you get something home and decide you just dont like it you can take it back for a full refund.

Mart, Mar 26, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Yeah, the granite slab things they sell are two inches too small to take my turntable. Idiots.

Anex, Mar 26, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

Graham C

I think with Argos stuff, I have more dissapointments than success. The trouble is you can't tell what is good until you unbox it, as none is on display. I bought a 'Camden' 5 shelf unit the other day as a hifi rack, [yeah, its chrome-n-maple-naff, but it had to be that one for the alcove size]and the the thing wobbles like jelly.

I then took a risk on one of those 'Harrogate' media shelves - 700 CDs - because they are end of line 1/2 price [I guess not many people nowadays have 700 Cds]. Guess what? It looks much more tasteful than the picture in the catalogue - darker than the bleached wood that Argos is awash with. Sorta nearer a varnished oak colour. And it's accurately cut. Buy one for £35

Graham C, Mar 26, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Mike bad news 45 quid is not a lot of money to pay for a quality chair, you are looking at 500.

You only ever get what you pay for.

garyi, Mar 26, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

This one was dearer than my old chair though, my old chair was very comfortable and is cheaper in Argos, it took up too much room and made my HIFI sound awful because must have soaked up too much of the speakers vibrations.

My new one is much smaller, I will try and take it back on Wendesday. I also need to try and comfirm this 1988 safety law.

amazingtrade, Mar 26, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

narabdela

Always listen to your mum.

narabdela, Mar 26, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I got a desk and chair from Argos, £70 for the desk and £90 for the chair and they are fine.

Its possible to buy cheap rubbish from any shop...

PBirkett, Mar 26, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

My old chair was good, that was from Argos.

My matress was from Argos and that is a pile of crap too.

Also this chair dosn't comply with the 1988 regulations and they have to by law.

amazingtrade, Mar 26, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I think Argos are generally sell chav sh*te, tho, they do sell some ok stuff, but they try to copy Ikea (who aren't that good, but at least cheap!) and are twice the price..!

mr cat, Mar 29, 2005
Ask a Question