ASP.NET - The most usless piece of crap ever

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Dec 13, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

As apart of my project specifications I have decided that my site I am developing must meet WAI AA standards. I am also developing the site in ASP.NET. I cannot use the datagrid controls because they automaticaly generate tables which are not allowed to be used unless they are tables as in the paper based tables. Tables must not be used to position text or other page elements, CSS must be used for this.

In PHP or ASP classic this would be really easy to do, but not in ASP.NET. I have spent a good week trying to figure out how you get radio buttons to work in a repeater but I am coming to the conclusion that it is not possible.

I am getting really p*ssed of with ASP.NET because it seems its easy for any donkey to produce a rubbish site in, but you make a site that is produced to none Microsoft standards seems hard.

I much prefer PHP anyday.

amazingtrade, Dec 13, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

Paul Ranson

Does PHP or ASP 'Classic' have a 'datagrid control'?

FWIW I'd have thought a 'datagrid' was an analogy of a 'paper based table' and therefore acceptable to your rather arbitrary standard.

If you prefer PHP why not do it in PHP? I'm somewhat wary of PHP for real work because I think you tend to end up with an unmaintainable mess. I'd be doing it in ATLServer...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 13, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

No neither have them. ASP.NET is fine for the back end stuff, I like the idea of it being object oriented, and you're right PHP would end up being a mess which is why I am using .NET.

Also because we haven't been taught it it will give me extra marks. I just wish I could display data in the same way you do with ASP or PHP. At the moment I am having to use a repeater to display the text in one div, and then use a radiobuttonlist in the other div, both have the same SQL statement so they are in the same order.

I suppose the data displayed is kind of a table it options displayed on a screen like in an online shopping site. Thinking about it may be better in a table actually. However if you do need to use a table to be WIA AA complient you have to mark it properly, from what I have seen ASP.NET just uses standard TDs etc and misses of vital elements.

I just need to have 100% complete control over the front end and it seems quite hard to do. I will research datagrids a bit more tomorrow to see exactly how much I can customise them.

By June I need to have a site where a blind person can build their own PC online and have it delivered to them as well as looking very good and higly usable for sighted people. This why meeting standards is very important.

amazingtrade, Dec 14, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

Paul Ranson

I'm sure you can do it.

I think something like a 'DataGrid' is built ontop of a foundation, you don't have to use it.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 14, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

I've got it working now, I have managed to get the radiobutton web control to work inside the repeater, the radiobutton's properties are all determined by varius fields in the MySQL database.

Its going to take me a long time to get used to all these quirks.

amazingtrade, Dec 14, 2004
Ask a Question