ATC CA2 topless?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by dat19, Nov 7, 2003.

1. dat19

dat19 blind test terrorist

Anyone successfully removed the top from an ATC CA2 pre-amp. I have one with a dodgy headphone socket (perhaps), but I can't get insode the damn case. I've removed the 6 allen screws from the base, but the top doesn't slide off. It appears to be glued?

ANyone know what I'm missing?

dat19, Nov 7, 2003
  2. dat19

Paul Ranson

ATC preamps have headphone sockets? Talk about finding feet of clay in the most surprising places.

Hit it with a rubber hammer. If that doesn't work then brute force is the only option.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 7, 2003
  3. dat19

julian2002 Muper Soderator

have you checked for other sneaky fixings? check the feet, see if the control knobs are removable. do the internals slide out. failing that give atc a ring and see if they can help.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 7, 2003
  4. dat19

dat19 blind test terrorist

Top off (finally)

So, I undid the 6 allen screws and then ran some paper between the edge to test where it was free. Sure enough, a piece of "double sided sticky" rubber absorbtion material. At the back of the case this was easy enough to cut by wedging a craft knife between both parts of the case. I couldn't use this trick at the front because the front panel is in the way. So, I had to put the CA2 on the rug and keep pulling until the shear force tore the rubber!!

ATC preamps have headphone sockets?

Yes Paul, the little one CA2 does. The irony is that I wanted this pre-amp as a headphone amp!!!

The SCA2 on the other hand does not have a headphone socket (which is a pain seeing as I already had one of these.)

Oh, and it looks like I'll be calling ATC for the circuit diagram :( This doesn't appear to be a connector problem.

dat19, Nov 7, 2003
  5. dat19

sideshowbob Trisha

As it happens, its a better headphone amp than the Creek OBH21 I was using. Even driving HD600s, which are not an easy load.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 7, 2003
Ask a Question