ATC or PMC - waddya think?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yogus, Feb 7, 2004.

1. yogus

yogus

Ran into some extra dosh, so thinking of finding a way of spending it.

Thinking of either getting ATC SCM-35s or PMC FB1s. I know there's a big price diff, but a dealer is offering about 20% of the ATCs, which make them good value.

Has anyone ever put ATC and PMCs head-to-head? I can't find a dealer that stocks both. (I'm in Oz BTW).

The problem is, my Cyrus7+PSX-R can't hack the ATCs, and when auditioning them, I could only get good results with huge muscleamps like Gryphon Callisto 2200, which is way out of my price league. Mind you, this combination IMO blew everything else away at the shop in that price range. The dealer was offering the Gryphons at about 40% off.

With the PMCs, I can get decent results due to their high sensitivity/impedence, but ultimately would want to get Bryston amplification in the long run (e.g. BP25/3BSST or forthcoming integrated based on 3BSST). I think I could even get away with the Cyrus as a pre and use the 3BSST as power.. that way I'll have heaps left for software!

So... should I save up for ATC+HugeExpensiveAmp combo or get PMCs now, and get that amp later...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2004
    yogus, Feb 7, 2004
  2. yogus

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I think Im probably wrong... I often am...

but arent the SCM35 ATC's active?

bottleneck, Feb 7, 2004
  3. yogus

sideshowbob Trisha

Chris, nope, they're passive. And they do need a powerful amp.

I've heard PMCs a few times and not been impressed sufficiently to form a view one way or another, so can't help on the specific question, but I'm a big fan of ATC speakers and if it was me I'd snap them up if they're a good price and start saving for an amp (maybe ATC's own integrated).

Alternatively, why not save up and go active? ATC actives are where it's at, IMO.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2004
    sideshowbob, Feb 7, 2004
  4. yogus

yogus

yogus, Feb 7, 2004
  5. yogus

yogus

If I took home the SCM35s, I'd fall asleep with it hooked up to my Cyrus :D

Actives are another option, but the ATC Active 10s won't have enough bass for my 6X4 room I think. The dealer doesn't have the 20-2s in yet, so that could be another option. I think they're cheaper than the 35s. Will have to wait and see there.

yogus, Feb 7, 2004
  6. yogus

joel Shaman of Signals

Harbeth, naturally, are the way to go.

joel, Feb 7, 2004
  7. yogus

sideshowbob Trisha

You should definitely try and get a listen to the active 20s before deciding IMO. They may be just what you're after.

In the UK they're about £2700 new, no idea what the price in Oz would be. When you consider that you get the amps included, that's a reasonable price.

ATC pro speakers are, on the whole, identical to the domestic versions apart from some stylistic differences and LF controls. They come up secondhand reasonably cheaply quite often, might be worth scouring some pro audio secondhand sites in your part of the world if the domestic versions are in short supply.

Burn him, he's a witch! :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 7, 2004
  8. yogus

yogus

Can't find them in Oz... :D

(AFAIK)

yogus, Feb 7, 2004
  9. yogus

yogus

Active 20-2s look wife-friendly :D

They need a pre with balanced outs though... more $$$ :(

yogus, Feb 7, 2004
  10. yogus

sideshowbob Trisha

I picked up an ATC CA2 pre secondhand for £375 (very good it is too). Alternatively, get hold of some phono->XLR cables, they work absolutely fine (I used to run my Active 10s from a preamp without balanced outputs, with no problem at all, using balanced cables with XLR->RCA adaptors at the pre end, you can buy them from RS Components for not much money, or any ATC dealer should be able to make up cables for you if you don't want to use adaptors and aren't handy with a soldering iron to make your own).

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 7, 2004
  11. yogus

dat19 blind test terrorist

You don't need balanced out's.

The ATC manuals show you how to wire up single ended preamps correctly. [I've run 50's and 10's from a single ended source..]

When I bought my active 10's the dealer said they woludn't work with a single ended preamp AND the bastard wanted to sell me Nordost! If your dealer is telling you that you need balanced assume he's just trying to sell you an expensive pre-amp.

The CA2 is a damn good pre-amp, and it is single-ended (albeit with XLR's).

dat19, Feb 7, 2004
  12. yogus

yogus

Damn crooks... dealers :confused:

Found out that my 40% discount offer off the Gryphons was in fact only 10%. The genuine RRP was $12K, not $14K as he quoted. Either way, can't afford it.

Fair point about the single-ended inputs.. saw the XLRs and immediately assumed balanced. Duh.

yogus, Feb 8, 2004
  13. yogus

joel Shaman of Signals

Poor lad. I hope this is not the case for much longer.

nyah, that's rich from coming from a Sufi Heretic.
    Anyway, your allegation is bass-less and if you don't retract I shall turn you back into a amazonian venemous pygmy toad.

joel, Feb 8, 2004
  14. yogus

oncesvelte

Other options in OZ

Yogus,

Have'nt you got some other options open to you?

Heard good things about Osborn http://www.osborn.com.au/

good synergy with Audio Aero apparently.

I've got ATC scm 50 asl's which I use with Atc CA-2 pre (mega value/performance ratio).

I'm hoping to get good results by using an Audio Aero Capitole mk II 24/192 direct into the active 50's, it has an extra digital input too so I could connect a digi tuner.

oncesvelte, Feb 8, 2004
  15. yogus

yogus

Yep, plenty of other options, but I've had good dems with ATC and PMC so just wanted some opinions on the two side-by-side.

I've heard the Audio Aero CD at some shop in Melbourne, but not really looking for CDP right now.

yogus, Feb 8, 2004
  16. yogus

Mike

Hi Yogus I'm also interested in the Active 20's, and live in Victoria. Do you know who the dealers are for consumer ATC gear here? Only thought they had the pro stuff in shops.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike, Feb 9, 2004
  17. yogus

yogus

Mike

Unfortunately I live in New South Wales, and I only know of Audio Connection in Sydney that stock the consumer gear.

It just happens that everytime I go to Melbourne I have a listen to some of the gear down at Carlton Audio Visual, who I think I have stunning range and some of the best and friendliest staff. Hoping to dem the PMC FB1 + Simaudio I-5 next time I get there.

Audio connection are also the distributors of ATC in Oz, so you may want to give them a call.

yogus, Feb 9, 2004
  18. yogus

Mike

Yep CAV was pretty awesome. However, Brad or Brett (I forget his name) is a bit of an ass, and I rarely go in these days. Rab is a legend though :D. You may also want to demo one of the new Dynaudio Contour bookshelves (Special 25/S1.4) while you're there, these are meant to be pretty good. Just had a look at the Oz retail price for the Active 20's... $10,000!!!

Cheers,
    Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2004
    Mike, Feb 9, 2004
  19. yogus

LinnkUp

Someones been reading too many hifi mags it seems.

The kit you suggest is so far apart that I fail to see how anyone can realistically help you.

Get rid of the Cyrus kit and start afresh.... then you will not have the limiting factor.

LinnkUp, Feb 9, 2004
Ask a Question