ATC Passives - SCM12 and SCM20

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Nov 1, 2005.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Folks - anyone got views on how the SCM20 standmount differs from the SCM12 sonically? I like the SCM12 but have seen some 2nd hand 20s available and am wondering how they will differ. thanks.

alanbeeb, Nov 1, 2005
  2. alanbeeb

ClashCityRocker

I have the 20s. Its the longest lasting component in my setup. Sorry didnt get to hear the 12s. Just that the 12s are much newer models. I suppose the 12s are 12litre boxes just like the 20s are 20 litres boxes :)

ClashCityRocker, Nov 1, 2005
  3. alanbeeb

COOLGUY

atc scm 35 or monitors or Actives

I would be very interested to hear opinions of the scm35. Or the smaller shelf ATCs.

I am considering them as an upgrade/the 35/ or addition/a smaller monitor.

anybody could comment on the pros and cons of the active speakers? even those who sell them told me they would go for the passive, even though the active is more "high end", "professional" etc.
    saying the actives are a "hard ride", just too true and fast to be enjoyable...

COOLGUY, Nov 2, 2005
  4. alanbeeb

andyoz

I seem to recall there has been a bit written about the SCM35's on this forum so try some searches.

I have the SCM35's and am happy with them. They are a good honest speaker for the price. As mentioned by others though, the top end is probably the weakest element. It's well integrated with the other drivers but it just lacks a bit of openess. I wouldn't write-off the actives at all. I guess it depends on what type of sound you're after but the active design has always appealed to me (although I haven't heard them) but I couldn't accomodate the SCM50's in our house.

I was talking to the dealer I brought my SCM35's off (ex-demo) and he happended to mention that they are now offering them at at 20% off RRP. I got the impression from him that other ATC dealers are doing the same.

andyoz, Nov 2, 2005
Ask a Question